Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
I am not very sure.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=w_WW-DHqR3c

In 12.04 LTS, the HUD is a smart look-ahead search through the app and system (indicator) menus. The image is showing Inkscape, but of course it works everywhere the global menu works. No app modifications are needed to get this level of experience. And you don’t have to adopt the HUD immediately, it’s there if you want it, supplementing the existing menu mechanism.

It’s smart, because it can do things like fuzzy matching, and it can learn what you usually do so it can prioritise the things you use often. It covers the focused app (because that’s where you probably want to act) as well as system functionality; you can change IM state, or go offline in Skype, all through the HUD, without changing focus, because those apps all talk to the indicator system. When you’ve been using it for a little while it seems like it’s reading your mind, in a good way.

We’ll resurrect the (boring) old ways of displaying the menu in 12.04, in the app and in the panel. In the past few releases of Ubuntu, we’ve actively diminished the visual presence of menus in anticipation of this landing. That proved controversial. In our defence, in user testing, every user finds the menu in the panel, every time, and it’s obviously a cleaner presentation of the interface. But hiding the menu before we had the replacement was overly aggressive. If the HUD lands in 12.04 LTS, we hope you’ll find yourself using the menu less and less, and be glad to have it hidden when you are not using it. You’ll definitely have that option, alongside more traditional menu styles.

Mark Shuttleworth — www.markshuttleworth.com — Readability

this doesn't look like a good direction to head. i m not so sure about the usability of heads up display. its good that they are not throwing away the traditional menu completely.

let me tell you something very simple. Apple, google and microsoft... all of these companies have voice products (apple uses nuance) and all of these basically struggle with indian accent. so unless you can speak in an american accent, there is a very good chance that voice commands would not work well for you. ubuntu would have to use an open source speech recognition engine. so you can forget it to be anywhere close to what google, microsoft and nuance has.

I think I'll like this feature only in-addition to regular-old menus. Sort-of like Chrome's preferences page.