Ubuntu query

• Thread starter Thread starter rodeoz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 5,669
See if the "usb-modeswitch" (or something like that name) package is installed and whether you need to enter a username/password anywhere?

See if the "usb-modeswitch" (or something like that name) package is installed and whether you need to enter a username/password anywhere?

Entered "sudo apt-get install usb-modeswitch"

Got a reply saying usb-modeswitch is already the newest version. So I presume it is installed. Linux Mint had a pre-defined profile for Tata Photon + which I selected. Unfortunately, now I don't get any option to configure it (basically the configure tab is disabled for mobile broadband). We don't have to enter any username and password is default in windows.

This is how my network tab looks: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/screenshotat20120208130.png/

when on linux, google becomes your best buddy 😛

http://www.tataphoton.com/download/dialers/dialup-internet-on-linux.pdf

How to Configure TATA Photon Plus

Thanks for this. It does detect my modem as "Found a modem on /dev/ttyUSB0"

This is a bit different from what the guide mentions - "/dev/ttyACM0"

Post this, when I type - "gedit /etc/wvdial.conf", it opens configuration file which only reads:

"[Dialer Defaults]
Phone =
Username =
Password =
New PPPD = yes"

I am a Linux noob but when I compare this to the guide you posted, it appears that the configuration file is missing relevant details.

----------

Edited the wvdialconf to this:

"
[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 230400
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
Init3 = AT+CRM=1
Stupid Mode = 1
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = USB Modem
Phone = #777
Username = internet
Password = internet

"

This is identical to how the wvdial conf file is in the Tata Photon guide except that I have changed the name of the modem to what was being displayed on my screen after typing the command - "wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf"

On executing wvdial, the output I get in the terminal is identical to the one given in the guide till "ATDT#777"
Post this, instead of connecting, I get an error - "Error. Invalid Dial Command".

UPDATE : Installed the latest ubuntu instead and followed the guide from here - http://askubuntu.com/questions/78164/configuring-tata-photon-usb-modem-huawei-ec156

Everything works now! Hurrah!!

you have to install wvdial, found a guide for mint and tata for you, follow the steps for mint only.

IT Idea: How to configure Tata Photon Whiz or Tata Photon Plus on Linux OS

and remember when you edit a file in linux using gedit or nano [ they are file editors ] save the changes by crtl + x, then crtl + y, you will given option to save hit Y. otherwise changes will not be saved.

edit 😱h goody just read your edited post glad it worked out !🙂

For me Tata Photon+ worked without any tweaks in Ubuntu 11.10. In 11.04,10.10,10.04 it requires some tweaking.

I had to create a script that I run every time I plug in the photon. Works great as of now. Only that there is no official graphical interface so no idea if it is possible to choose between Wiz and Photon+ signals in Linux.Thanks for the help fellas!