Ubuntu most popular at DistroWatch.org

• Thread starter Thread starter netfreak
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 9
  • Views Views 2,277
distrowatch is best site for linux distros.... ubuntu is top there since 1 and half year or more!!

it just goes to show what happens when someone seriously decides to promote Linux. I really wish the guy who has invested in developing the front end for Ubuntu would invest some money in actually getting hw specs opened up for the Open Source community so we can write drivers. See I am not even asking for him to invest money into DEVELOPING the drivers. We just want specs! There are plenty of us 🙂

I agree wid Max, Ubuntu has done really good work with Linux promotion (and windows eradication!!).I have met Mark Shuttleworth when he was in Mumbai (at IIT, arranged by LUG of mumbai) and he really seems to be a man with a mission, that is an OS for every nation in the local language, so that computing can benefit more people who dont know english, and he egged on developers to freely use the ubuntu base to kame an Indian Linux.BTW Ubuntu is a recommended distro for newbies to learn and tweak.

i think slackwares based distros are best to learn and tweak and live cd's of ubuntu doesnt detect serial mouse 😉 ( old versions does but new versions not !! ) I will try kubuntu now

Yes Slackware is the way to go if you are a student in IT or want to learn Unix.

Originally posted by power@Feb 7 2006, 06:34 PM
i think slackwares based distros are best to learn and tweak and live cd's of ubuntu doesnt detect serial mouse 😉 ( old versions does but new versions not !! ) I will try kubuntu now
[snapback]41626[/snapback]
[/quote]
That wont help coz kubuntu based on same system as ubuntu, amd also it dint work at a friend's place who has a serial mouse.