ubuntu and 220bx usb

• Thread starter Thread starter mayank717
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 5,153
Well Just google it yaar!!Strange that you dont use google.
I dont mean to be rude , but such silly questions are looked down upon in the Linux community.
A simple google search for "ndiswrapper" gives
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
just go there and follow the instructions.
If you get stuck anywhere in the process of installing and configuring Ndiswrapper you are welcome to ask .

I downloaded live ubuntu from net burned it on cd. Corrected the Bios to boot from Rom however windows Xp runs normally no ubuntu. I am using athlon xp2200 processor. Whats the prob???Anyone Help ???

which one is better for beginners Ubuntu or mepis? I am basically looking for OS that consumes less resources than XP ( & I am not interested in Puppy Linux or DSL) and has good and pleasing interface.

Use Fedora Core 5 . Very good for all kinds of users. Lots of how-to's and guides available for Fedora., and great support on fedoraforum.org

can any linux distro be installed without partitioning the drive? If not then which partition tool should i use?I have win xp and i dont want to lose it or the data on the drive.EDIT : Just checked Fedora homepage, 5 cd's 😱 thats a huge OS !

See dude...a linux distro is a complete OS..so u need a separate partition for it.As far as a I know..there is no distro which can be installed without partitioning the HDDSo in Win XP , use Partiton Magic to resize you partitions and create blank space on your HDD, thus you will reatin your data. Then boot any Linux installation CD and use that free space to make your root partition and swap partition.Post your HDD and partition(size and free space in the partition ) info here..I ll tell you the optimum method to resize.BTW even though Fedora is huge, its worth it, Rock solid as compared to Ubuntu.

I have a 40 GB drive of which abt 18 GB is free. Think i'll allocate about 10 GB for linux as its only for testing purposes. I havent defragged for ages do i need to defrag before partition?U mean to say that Ubuntu crashes windows style? I thought all linux distro's were rock solid atleast thats what linux fans mention in their bashing of poor bill.

man i have made a partition of 7 GB for Ubuntu (Its ext3)Live CD is running ok. Now when i go for installation everthing goes well till it asks me where to put the root files and stuff. I dont want it to do it automatically and so i go for manual partitioning and select the 7 GB for both swap and root but it will not let me do so. Any ideas what to do now?

Dude..you cant use same partition for the 2 things ..do the following steps..1]when you get to the manual partition editing..delete the 7GB partition ..now you will see free space.2]Now , create a new partition in that 7GB free space...The size should be 7GB minus at least your Ram size. IE if you have 512 MB RAM, make a partition of at the most 6.5GB. Recommended is 6.2 GB for 512MB ram .Then make its type as EXT3 and set the mount point as "/"3]In the remaining space, create another partition and set the type as "SWAP".Thus you have created two partitions in the 7GB space.Thats it , you are done with the partitioning.!