ubuntu and 220bx usb

aniketvb

Linuxguy
Regulars
Oct 2, 2005
Use Fedora Core 5 . Very good for all kinds of users. Lots of how-to's and guides available for Fedora., and great support on fedoraforum.org

Robin

Apr 29, 2006
can any linux distro be installed without partitioning the drive? If not then which partition tool should i use?I have win xp and i dont want to lose it or the data on the drive.EDIT : Just checked Fedora homepage, 5 cd's :eek: thats a huge OS !

aniketvb

Linuxguy
Regulars
Oct 2, 2005
See dude...a linux distro is a complete OS..so u need a separate partition for it.As far as a I know..there is no distro which can be installed without partitioning the HDDSo in Win XP , use Partiton Magic to resize you partitions and create blank space on your HDD, thus you will reatin your data. Then boot any Linux installation CD and use that free space to make your root partition and swap partition.Post your HDD and partition(size and free space in the partition ) info here..I ll tell you the optimum method to resize.BTW even though Fedora is huge, its worth it, Rock solid as compared to Ubuntu.

Robin

Apr 29, 2006
I have a 40 GB drive of which abt 18 GB is free. Think i'll allocate about 10 GB for linux as its only for testing purposes. I havent defragged for ages do i need to defrag before partition?U mean to say that Ubuntu crashes windows style? I thought all linux distro's were rock solid atleast thats what linux fans mention in their bashing of poor bill.

ronscores

Regulars
Mar 25, 2005
Robin,
I suggest you try the LiveCDs first if u are new to the world of linux..

Robin

Apr 29, 2006
man i have made a partition of 7 GB for Ubuntu (Its ext3)Live CD is running ok. Now when i go for installation everthing goes well till it asks me where to put the root files and stuff. I dont want it to do it automatically and so i go for manual partitioning and select the 7 GB for both swap and root but it will not let me do so. Any ideas what to do now?

aniketvb

Linuxguy
Regulars
Oct 2, 2005
Dude..you cant use same partition for the 2 things ..do the following steps..1]when you get to the manual partition editing..delete the 7GB partition ..now you will see free space.2]Now , create a new partition in that 7GB free space...The size should be 7GB minus at least your Ram size. IE if you have 512 MB RAM, make a partition of at the most 6.5GB. Recommended is 6.2 GB for 512MB ram .Then make its type as EXT3 and set the mount point as "/"3]In the remaining space, create another partition and set the type as "SWAP".Thus you have created two partitions in the 7GB space.Thats it , you are done with the partitioning.!