Ubuntu 9.04 Released

• Thread starter Thread starter DrSRQ
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 162
  • Views Views 24,676
I am not able to install Ubuntu on my laptop too:huh:
My configuration is Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop, Windows Vista Home Premium (SP1).
I downloaded ISO from Ubuntu site and burned a CD. Then I tried to install using WUBI with option of 'Install within Windows'. After it complete file extract & installation for ~10 min, I get popup saying 'Permission Denied' and see log.
In log the it displays error as
04-26 15:58 DEBUG TaskList: ### Finished copy_file
04-26 15:58 ERROR TaskList: [Errno 13] Permission denied
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\wubi\backends\common\tasklist.py", line 196, in __call__
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\wubi\backends\common\utils.py", line 206, in copy_file
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied
04-26 15:58 DEBUG TaskList: # Cancelling tasklist
04-26 15:58 ERROR root: [Errno 13] Permission denied
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\wubi\application.py", line 55, in run
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\wubi\application.py", line 125, in select_task
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\wubi\application.py", line 193, in run_cd_menu
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\wubi\application.py", line 117, in select_task
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\wubi\application.py", line 155, in run_installer
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\wubi\frontends\win32\frontend.py", line 137, in run_tasks
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied
04-26 15:58 DEBUG TaskList: New task check_iso
04-26 15:58 DEBUG CommonBackend: Searching for local ISO
04-26 15:58 DEBUG CommonBackend: Could not find any ISO or CD, downloading one now
04-26 15:58 DEBUG TaskList: New task get_metalink
04-26 15:58 ERROR TaskList: Cannot download the metalink and therefore the ISO
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\wubi\backends\common\tasklist.py", line 196, in __call__
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\wubi\backends\common\backend.py", line 482, in get_iso
File "Z:\home\evan\bzr\wubi.trunk\build\wubi\files\lib\wubi\backends\common\backend.py", line 326, in download_iso
Exception: Cannot download the metalink and therefore the ISO
04-26 15:58 DEBUG TaskList: # Cancelling tasklist
04-26 15:58 DEBUG TaskList: # Finished tasklist

Anybody had this problem, any solution for it please...

Opera 9.6 not available for Ubuntu 9.04?

apparently some posts about similar failures for 9.04 wubi on vista... how much space do you have free? also try to right-click the wubi.exe and run as administrator even if you are already logged in as administrator...

^^^
I have about 140 GB free space on C drive, where Ubuntu tries to install. Other drive (named as Recovery) has 8 GB free, but I cannot select that installation mentions about 14 GB size.
I too gone thru many forums about same problem, but apparently nobody has come out with any solution for it.

----------

'Run as Administrator' option resulted in same result 🙁

I guess its a WUBI bug... but admin has installed that way I believe... maybe he knows whats up...

----------

Oh just read the following bits:

04-26 15:58 DEBUG TaskList: New task check_iso 04-26 15:58 DEBUG CommonBackend: Searching for local ISO 04-26 15:58 DEBUG CommonBackend: Could not find any ISO or CD, downloading one now 04-26 15:58 DEBUG TaskList: New task get_metalink 04-26 15:58 ERROR TaskList: Cannot download the metalink and therefore the ISO
Are you sure the CD is written properly with no errors? Can you do a media check? And during WUBI install, please check all options you select so that it does not try to download a new ISO rather installs from the existing disk - I dont remember the WUBI screens/options at the moment...

----------

Another update:

Looked at the ISO, there is an autorun.inf with option to run WUBI like "wubi.exe --cdmenu" so either insert the CD and let WUBI start automatically, or if it doesnt start like that then go to Windows Command Prompt and change to the CD folder and run "wubi --cdmenu" command... does that work?

----------

And finally, from the WUBI guide at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide troubleshooting section 6.1:

Cannot access the CD
This sometimes happens when a DVD media/drive is used and/or if the CD is corrupted and/or if the support is of poor quality and/or the CD/DVD is not finalized. Wubi does not require a physical CD, download wubi from Wubi - Ubuntu Installer for Windows and run it without the CD in the tray. If you have already downloaded the ISO file, place the ISO in the same directory as Wubi.exe.

As vishalrao said , try running it in liveCD mode to check if the CD is okay

^^^
I have about 140 GB free space on C drive, where Ubuntu tries to install. Other drive (named as Recovery) has 8 GB free, but I cannot select that installation mentions about 14 GB size.
🙁

are there no partitions in your Dell except for C and Recovery?

@vishalrao - After downloading ISO from Ubuntu site, I burned the CD and had finalised it. I will still have a look at it again. Btw can I copy complete setup on HDD and run from HDD.@vivekindia - I have just got the new laptop and it has only 2 partitions: C & E (Recovery), of which 14 GB is allocated for E, while remaining is allocated for C (~220 GB).

Thanks all :thumbsup:I will have a look at the CD and try again.I have also ordered a 8.10 CD, few weeks back, which may reach me soon, I would give try with that CD if my CD fails again.

Today i tried to installed Ubuntu seperately. I gone for remove the Windows7 and install Ubuntu.But Linux remove all the particion and delete all the files around 50 GB of 120 GB HDD and installed Ubuntu 9.04.😡 All my data was lost. 😢

what did i tell ya. keep using it through wubi. playing with partitions need some idea about what you are doing.

I select "Remove Windows7 and install Ubuntu. But i delete all data and all particions. Now ubuntu install with a single Drive with 110 GB of space. 😢I thought i format only C drive and install ubuntu, but i delete all the datas. 😢

you are supposed to create a new partition from the empty space on your hard drive. and use that space for linux partitions. that is somewhat complicated for a newbie. that was the reason i suggested WUBI. and i believe linux was working fine for you through that?