Ubuntu 9.04 Released

• Thread starter Thread starter DrSRQ
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 162
  • Views Views 24,694
I am using EXT4 , works well for me

Extents
Extents are introduced in ext4 to replace the traditional block mapping scheme used by ext2/3 filesystems. An extent is a range of contiguous physical blocks, improving large file performance and reducing fragmentation. A single extent in ext4 can map up to 128MB of contiguous space with a 4KB block size.[1] There can be 4 extents stored in the Inode. When there are more than 4 extents to a file the rest of the extents are indexed in a Htree.

Finally i installed Ubuntu. But after i install, i had only 800x600 screen resolution. But i need 1024x768, what do i need to install. I am not able to installed graphice card from Mother board CD. I am using Asus. :huh:

Apparently VIA chips arent known for their linux friendliness

Youll have to try manually configuring it , goto Terminal , Applications >> Accesories >> Terminal , type

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
then your root password

it will open the xorg file in the text editor

You might have something like this

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Defaultdepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Virtual 640 480
Modes "640x480@60" "800x600@60"
EndSubSection
EndSection

In modes add "1024x768@60"
Also try changing "vesa" in the device section to "via"

Save and restart

Its works. Thanks for your help. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

----------

IBF connected from Ubuntu. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
This is my first post from Linux OS. :dance::dance::dance:

----------

What about Anit Virus?:S

I think i am asking more questions, i am new to Linux thats why 😀
Sorry for the inconvenience. :ashamed:

yup. no antivirus is required on linux. you might need a firewall but essentially you are pretty safe out of the box.

You might want to install flash / java / mp3 codec though , run this in the terminal :
Code:
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

i think music and video support is added automatically the first time he tries to play the media. he would be asked for confirmation that he is installing something that is not open source by nature. 🙂

i dont remember though if it requires me to enable existing options in 'software sources' as that is usually the first thing i do after installing ubuntu. 😛

IBF connected from Ubuntu. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
This is my first post from Linux OS. :dance::dance::dance:

So are you installed from inside Win7/WUBI or directly installed? If you one day want/able to try a full/proper installation you might be impressed by the fast bootup and shutdown speed too :dance:

I am installed within Win7. I need to learn more on Linux. After that i will install Linux separately. :thumb:

----------

If i try to install Chrome, it gives this error

Code:
[/home/kalyan/.cache/.fr-wh61mI/ChromeSetup.exe]  End-of-central-directory signature not found.  Either this file is not  a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive.  In the  latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on  the last disk(s) of this archive.zipinfo:  cannot find zipfile directory in one of /home/kalyan/.cache/.fr-wh61mI/ChromeSetup.exe or          /home/kalyan/.cache/.fr-wh61mI/ChromeSetup.exe.zip, and cannot find /home/kalyan/.cache/.fr-wh61mI/ChromeSetup.exe.ZIP, period.