Ubuntu 9.04 Released

• Thread starter Thread starter DrSRQ
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 162
  • Views Views 24,710
coz i would have to find a blank CD 😛it is downloading jaunty-desktop-amd64.iso. i am not sure if its the same file as ubuntu-9.04-rc-desktop-amd64.iso

oh probably not 😛 it might be one of those "daily builds" not official RC release...

it seems to have downloaded and installed while i was watching f1. scared to reboot. dunno if even vista would work 😀

----------

hah. on ubuntu 9.04 now through Wubi. It installed within 5 minutes and started really really fast!

and my dual screen problems seem to be solved.

i just might make this my primary OS...

i would work on wubi installed ubuntu for the next couple of days.

i am going to miss chrome very very much 🙁

heh. i use chrome dev channel edition. but alpha releases are not for me.

Did an upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04. Working absolutely great as expected. :thumb: Boot time on my system is 30-40 seconds though!

alright. what do i install on this fresh ubuntu installation?

i think ms fonts are required...

btw. i do not see that new theme that was in screenshots all over the web🙁

----------

ah its called new wave and is required to be activated manually.

looking all good. i like dark themes. 🙂

----------

this saved the day for me.

----------

how do i get ubuntu to give me the better nvidia driver?

it usually asks me by itself... it has not asked me in this installation. 🙁

Kubuntu 9.04 has been my primary OS for many weeks now 🙂For nvidia drivers (if it hasnt asked already) its in system->administration->hardware drivers...

yey cool. i had run that earlier but it showed nothing.

i guess updating the repositories worked 😛

----------

great. ubuntu's own display manager does not work after nvidia driver installation.

had to run nvidia setting tool from terminal with sudo to get it working.

i had some idea on how to do it. 🙁 i bet a lot of users are not going to like it.

----------

had to install ntfs-config. damn.

----------

god damn. it still took me some time to find out how to map window key + D for show desktop.

it just wont accept it if i try to press the key combination in the shortcut remap utility.

----------

great. linux do not remember the position of last window like save as boxes. i think this is a qt specific problem... this is going to be highly annoying.

QT problem??? you running kubuntu too???how did you manage to map the meta (windows) key + D (if in KDE)? in gnome it works...

i am using gnome. i was talking abt opera which uses qt i believe.

the save as box opens up at a fixed place. i want it to remember the last position!

even pidgin messages are opening at top left not at the last closed position.

i dont remember if it has been the case ever. but its annoying.

----------

i dont get kde as usual.

is firefox supposed to look like this?

----------

heh. even on kubuntu save as window does not remember the last position. this is super annoying. there are tons of advanced options for windows in kde though. but cannot find the one i need to modify.

this is mostly apps' fault for not remembering last position. for pidgin there must be a plugin/setting somewhere. i also get frustrated with window positioning... so in KDE best compromise is to select window placement as "centered" in KDE system settings->window behaviour->advanced tab..

----------

and firefox is not supposed to look like that... i think the theme you selected is not fully implemented or some engine like murrine is not installed. although i think its the incomplete theme...

----------

for gnome i like the "dust sand" theme...

firefox has always ended up looking like that for me in kde 😛i just install kde-desktop over ubuntu. that could be the problem i guess?

anyone remembers how to auto mount drives on startup and not show their icons on the desktop ? i forgot how to do it :redface:

----------

firefox has always ended up looking like that for me in kde 😛

i just install kde-desktop over ubuntu. that could be the problem i guess?
Try Personas addons , some very decent themes

This is what i use :