Ubiquiti Nano-G ONT for MTNL Mumbai Fibre

• Thread starter Thread starter Royalpopat
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 4,972
ISP
MTNL
Hi guys, I am new here so quite unware for how things work here. Will appreciate your support and patience with me.

I am looking to move to MTNL Mumbai Fibre connection. however, want to confirm if the Ubiquiti Nano-G ONU will work on it?

Has anyone tried this one on MTNL or knows anyone in MTNL who could confirm this will work?

Thanks,

Kindly use the ONT/ONU that MTNL provides because it has to be compatible with the OLT MTNL is using in their server room. There is a serial number validation so it is best to leave that to those guys. Currently MTNL Mumbai is using ONT/ONUs from these 2 manufacturers
1. Genexis
2. Alphion
They both work on their respective OLTs and cannot be swapped to work on one another. Even if you replace the same model, you have to inform NOC guys and they will re-validate your new device. Getting hold of NOC guys is next to impossible these days.
However, you can buy these from their respective vendors by calling them from link here. Be warned that they are expensive.

Your best bet is to set the ONT/ONU in bridge mode and use your own router to dial a PPPOe connection.
Hope this answers all your doubts.

Thanks for your reply. I had contacted one fo the Alphion vendors from their list. The feedback was not good, thus i wanted to just have my own ONT. How is the MTNL fibre performance for international destinations?

So far so good. I am not experiencing any throttling even to US servers.

You are better off with TP-Link GPON ONUs which allow simple Serial Number + Password change.

@rajil.s I have no clue as I don't bother with ONU once that piece of garbage is in Bridge Mode. I use my own powerful AX based router and hasn't let me down since last 2 months.

Not sure how secure changing the serial number will be. Where would you get a serial number that should be from a range of the MTNL accepted brands?
I already have a good Netgear router. Not trying to have an ONU to compensate for the router. Just wanting to have something nice and stable while avoiding the charges from MTNL. I may get my hands on a Ubiquiti Nano-G for free if things work out. I also quite like the nice small look with the display showing speed and other stats on it.

Not sure how secure changing the serial number will be. Where would you get a serial number that should be from a range of the MTNL accepted brands?

I don't think it's a range, depending on the configuration, the specific ONT serial would need to be whitelisted or allowed to register. So you might need to get an ONT from MTNL or the operator, and later if you want you could clone the serial and other parameters of your official ONT to the Ubiquiti.

@Royalpopat I would be interested to know your experience on the Unifi device if you get it.
You are probably aware that the serial number to be used should be the one from your existing ONU. This serial number is what the ISP has registered in their database for you.

I am surprised. When 90% people here have recommended against using own ONU on MTNL FTTH, OP is showing strong resilience to this opinion. It would be a huge mistake to do R&D and make Ubiquiti GPON device to work in current pandemic scenario especially when MTNL is behaving like a dead zombie with hair thin staff.
PS: I have tried a TP-Link GPON with simple serial number change with MTNL FTTH technical guy at my home co-ordinating with NOC guy to make it work on their networks. It just didn’t work no matter how hard they tried. Finally I gave the device to them so that they could R&D it themselves. This happened last year Feb 2019 and till date they haven’t been able to get it to work.
OP please save the headache.