Two Modems showing different SNR & Profile Rate for BSNL BB.

• Thread starter Thread starter Shivam15
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 2,124
ISP
BSNL FTTH
So, I have two modems both of Teracom. One is wifi and one is not..
So my one modem shows SNR of 6 for both downstream and upstream while other shows 24 for down and 9 for upstream. Also line profile is like 1334Kbps for 1st and 4091 for 2nd. Does it mean my first modem has gone bad? or is there any way to rectify this error. I tried hard reset but it ddint help the modem.

qTi7Ekb.jpg

Should I buy TP-Link modem? 300Mbps one.

SNR of 6 means the connection could not be stable. We need around 10 to have a stable connection. So, it is likely that the first modem has gone bad. I may be wrong, though.

And as per status of 2nd modem... current line profile rate of 4091kbps.. Can I get it increased upto 8mbps?
My current plan is 675.
Also suggest me a good modem which has wifi as well to buy? in around Rs.1500

Last edited:
Can I get it increased upto 8mbps?

Also suggest me a good modem which has wifi as well to buy? in around Rs.1500

Yes, you can increase it to 8mbps. Your line can serve 8mbps as per the SNR statistics from the second modem.

Good modems comes with an increased price tag. I've been using Netgear D1500 with good results. It costs 1899 in Amazon as of now. Better to buy from a local store, as local stores may offer lower price. It has 2 antennas. Range is just fine for my needs. It covers a 2-floor building nicely. I suggest it for two reasons...

1. Netgear updates firmware regularly than some other manufacturers. Of course, you need to apply them manually. Some manufacturers don't even bother to update firmware after releasing the modem to the market.

2. If you ever switch your ADSL connection to fiber (in the future), you can keep the same router and connect the WAN2 port act as input (from ONT) and let it act purely as a router. Ref: How do I set up my NETGEAR DSL modem as a router if I have Vodafone NZ Fibre or UFB? | Answer | NETGEAR Support ( even though, the example is given for another country, the concept remains the same except for VLAN ID that you may ignore ).

^^^^ And how about TP-Link W8961 300Mbps modem? is it a good company? Coz it also has two antennas and costs 1399. I have ordered it from Amazon.. But if its not that good maybe I will return and buy Netgear one as suggested by you.

And how about TP-Link W8961 300Mbps modem?

Well, the modem itself is good. Last month, I purchased it for my brother who insisted on 1.5k price tag. However, he is very satisfied with its performance. So, you made a good choice already.

As for the company, it is a good company in general. It makes great hardware at nominal prices. I use other TP-Link products too. They offer the right balance between the price, performance and quality.

Only rarely, companies release firmware. As I am more concerned about security side of things and about being future-ready (for fiber), I suggested Netgear N1500. Otherwise, TP Link W8961 300Mbps is the best modem-router one can get at 1.4k.

So the SNR and Max Attainable rate got better after using the TP-Link modem. 😀😀😀😀
So, now I can get it increased easily to 8Mbps without any issues.

lIvyV2A.jpg