• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 4,876

siren

Gadget Freak
ISP
BSNL
Hello,

I would like to change my current DISHTV connection to a cable connection. They provide a HD STB. One connection will be to my TV and other in my room. As no TV is there in my room, is it possible to get an internal or external TV tuner(non HD) for viewing? Also can i use this for recording the TV on my PC's HDD?

Thank You

I would assume that the Set Top Box provided by the cable guy is also using encryption just like DTH providers?

same problem. the whole point behind enforcing CAS was to encrypt the connection so that people can be forced to pay per TV rather than per house. but then i could be entirely wrong. i mean people do record stuff on their TVs. i just do not know how.

It is not possible like old Analog cable connection, in which we could connect cable to TV Tuner card and tune in frequency and watch channels on PC.
With STB, signals are digital, so STB is needed for each TV. Even if connection is supposed to given to PC Card, we need card which has RCA connector (Yellow/Red/White) coming from STB to PC Card. (I am not aware of any such card). If such card is available, then TV channels can be watched on PC, but channel surfing would happen through STB. If STB is not implementing any copy protection, and if PC card comes with any application to watch as well as record, then recording is possible.

Hello,

I would like to change my current DISHTV connection to a cable connection. They provide a HD STB. One connection will be to my TV and other in my room. As no TV is there in my room, is it possible to get an internal or external TV tuner(non HD) for viewing? Also can i use this for recording the TV on my PC's HDD?

Thank You

If you will be using only one STB, then the same channel will be visible on your tv and pc. If you wish to watch separate channels then you have to have a different stb for your pc too.

STB can be connected to the pc using a tv tuner card such as this:

AverMedia AVerTV VOLAR GO TV Tuner Card - AverMedia: Flipkart.com

I am using this card. The composite output of the stb goes to the card and the card is connected to a usb port on your pc. Bear in mind that all operations of the tv like changing channels, volume etc will have to be done by STB remote, not the remote which comes with tv tuner card. And you can record tv programs on your pc's hard disk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SVK