Tutorial - Save 20% of your internet bandwidth

• Thread starter Thread starter shouvik
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 6,101
ISP
Airtel
Did u know that Windows uses 20% of your internet bandwidth?

Wanna get it back?

A nice little tweak for XP.
Microsoft reserve 20% of your available internet bandwidth for their own purposes (suspect for updates and interrogating your machine etc..)

Here's how to get it back:

Click Start -> Run -> type "gpedit.msc"

Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Network -> QOS Packet Scheduler -> Limit Reservable Bandwidth.

Double click on Limit Reservable bandwidth. It will say it is not configured, but the truth is under the 'Explain' tab.

By default, the Packet Scheduler limits the system to 20 percent of the bandwidth of a connection, but you can use this setting to override the default.

So the trick is to ENABLE the reservable bandwidth, then set it to ZERO.
This will allow the system to reserve nothing, rather than the default 20%.
works on XP Pro, and 2000, other O/Ss not tested.

use opera in cached mode. save 40% of surfing bandwidth 🙂

lol, that means we if use opera in cached mode and follow the above tutorial, we can save upto 60% of our bandwidth?Which means we can save upto 90 MB if we are having a SIFY connection with the 150 MB/day thingy 😀

if u are surfing. downloading stuff is not included. anyways the above value does not mean windows is downloading stuff all the time. opera is in use here all the time 🙂

Yeah Surfing and downloading was different but as soon as the sify guys removed the unlimited word, they are counting the surfing along with the downloading data.

any ISP really cannot tell what ur consuming while surfing or while downloading. its weird when people feel shocked that surfing is including in the data transfer of a net connection.

Hey cancer! I am able to get ->QOS packet scheduler But I dont have ->Limit Reservable Bandwidth option displayed.I use XP .Tell me how i can increase my band with.

I was a bit suspicous of this claim, so googled and I found it on Tech-Recipes.com

To the original poster it would be helpful if you specify where you got this tip. It helps people learn more on the topic and gives credit to the original poster.

The rebuttals to this claim are here and they reference MSDN 🙂

am on Win 2k, but no "QOS Packet Scheduler" 🙁

Which means we can save upto 90 MB if we are having a SIFY connection with the 150 MB/day thingy[/b]

i believe this setting will just increase the bandwidth/speed, it won't save those MBs...rather consume them lot faster :lol:

Originally posted by blr_p@Jul 20 2005, 07:38 PM
I was a bit suspicous of this claim, so googled and I found it on Tech-Recipes.com

To the original poster it would be helpful if you specify where you got this tip. It helps people learn more on the topic and gives credit to the original poster.

The rebuttals to this claim are here and they reference MSDN 🙂
[snapback]17361[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, I do that always and this time also I would have given the original link if that wasn't a WAREZ forum.

this qos thing is just a myth

THE TRUTH:

Microsoft does NOT reserve NOR use ANY amount/percentage of your bandwidth for the QoS Packet Scheduler, UNLESS this service is actively transmitting/receiving ANY data/packets between your computer and the internet/network.
Therefore this is NOT a "bug" and its so called "fix" above is NOT necessary!

see here
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316666

yah all this was discussed at many sites and many sites gives false info that xp really eats 20% bandwith .. but all this is complete crap .

heres something from original m$ site .
Correction of some incorrect claims about Windows XP QoS support
There have been claims in various published technical articles and newsgroup postings that Windows XP always reserves 20 percent of the available bandwidth for QoS. These claims are incorrect. The information in the \"Clarification about QoS in end computers that are Running Windows XP\" section correctly describes the behavior of Windows XP systems.[/b]

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316666 🙂