[TUTORIAL] Convert Jio Fiber router to an extender

• Thread starter Thread starter sike69
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21
  • Views Views 34,781
  1. Reset the router to factory settings using a pin by inserting it to the reset port and hold for 7-10 secs.
  2. Your SSID will now be the default one mentioned on the back of the router. Use the SSID and password to connect. You can change it later anytime.
  3. Connect to the router via WiFi and go to the admin page (192.168.29.1). Credentials are admin:Jiocentrum
  4. Connect the LAN port of your ISP to the 1st LAN of the Jio router (the one next to the telephone port)
  5. Go to LAN settings of the Jio router and disable DHCP and assign a static IP address of the same subnet of your main router. I assigned 192.168.1.150
Your Jio router admin page now will be accessible on 192.168.1.150 from here onward.

Lan Configuration :
gXxGoHe.webp

Also, disable IPv6. I have not tried with IPv6 enabled as I read Jio router has some problem with IPv6.

YxAmbFJ.webp

6. Go to Available VLANs Tab and add a new VLAN 2

oqCRaMo.webp

7. Goto VLAN Membership and for VLANs 2-4 select Default VLAN association as 2 and select VLAN members 1 & 2 for all the VLANs.

Without disabling VLANs 2-4 or assigning them to a different VLAN, the internet doesn't work. If you disable other VLANs, you may not be able to connect devices via the LAN port (WiFi works though). Hence you assign a new VLAN to the other LANs. Weird, but it works.

UOuAW1P.webp

8. Goto security and disable everything on both the tabs. You already have this enabled on your main router. You don't want to do additional packet checks and increase latency.

07nu5TP.webp

FtDrgqs.webp

9. Restart router and connect via 192.168.1.150 or any other IP that you have set at step no. 5

If you get stuck somewhere or unable to connect, just reset and restart.

Credits

Last edited by a moderator:
pretty much works on every router fibre or normal. using Nokia g 140wc as an AP with bsnl ont with the same method .

Last edited:
Most useful.

Probably an amateur question, but this nullifies the Jio Fiber connection I presume?

What I'm trying to achieve is:

Working around Jio Fiber limitations (I want full control that allows me incoming connections without the cgnat non-sense)
Since that seems to be a dead-end as a) classic routing seems to cripple the connection and b) Bridge Mode doesn't work.

I'm happy to take an additional cable connection with another provider if it helps my case (albeit a slower one).

What I'm asking here is if I can have best of both worlds by doing this?
ie; Can I extend ANOTHER ISP's connection using this router AND have the Jio Fiber functioning side-by-side?

The intent would be, access ports / NAS etc from the outside while utilising Jio for speed (where it doesn't block me out).

You want to take a backup connection for a NAS ? How about using Zerotier instead of that ? You can even enjoy the speeds of the Jio rather than buying a small speed 2nd connection

hey did anyone tried this bcoz i wanna share my Jio connection to neighbour via buying a separate jio router rather than that MESH sys.
Please reply if anyone had done this before i have Jio router (v2.9).

Lol. How will Jio give you a separate router without taking a connection? If you really want to share connection then get a a non Jio router separately

Sharing of a connection for monetary means is illegal and considered as a commercial practice

Last edited:
i have a friend in Jio and his office is nearby and there are 3 ONT's which are Blue's which are used and no one is using that now..

So arranging an ONT for my personal use is'nt illegal and in India everything is Fair.

That's why i was asking if anyone had done that then plz reply is this works (second JIo router as extender...)

Even i have 2 Jio fiber router (1 active and another spare) and want to use spare jio router as extender to increase coverage as Jio router coverage is v bad..
Please suggest steps to leverage another jio router as extender with main active jio router