Turn off router when not in use

• Thread starter Thread starter ap99
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1
  • Views Views 14,440

ap99

ISP
JioFiber
This has been in my mind since a long time.
Is it a good practice to turn off a router when it is not going to be used for a long time?
I had a mtnl connection for the past 6 years during which I used to turn off my router when I did not require it. (my usage was less).
Now I am having a Jio Fiber connection since April and I turn the router off at night (it is on through out the day).
I was wondering if there are any advantages (or disadvantages) of keeping the router on continuously.

Well I keep my router power ON non-stop for months at a time. I only reboot my fiber ONT and router once in a while just to "refresh" them even though they are working fine.

Advantage I see in keeping my router powered on is that I use devices like Amazon echo dot which needs connectivity all the time if you have set a reminder or want to interact with it at random times even at night.

I also have devices like mobile phones and amazon fire TV stick which are connected via wifi which sometimes automatically download updates (multiple 100s of GBs) and reboot themselves. I dont use 4G at home on my mobile phones for this reason, to allow them to update during night time.

Other reason is that I am not the only person in the house using this internet connection, sometimes my mom also uses her phone or PC to browse the net at odd times so I cant switch off router and switch on every time someone wants to access internet.