Tata Sky Broadband: Static IPV6 - Unable to Configure

Ok guys, I set up a dual boot into OPNSense and managed to set it up to work with TSBB static IPv6. But IPv6 wasn't working properly for example I could ping the remote v6 server but couldn't browse the site. After breaking my head for many hours I found the solutiion. The setup is 90% same as pfSense set up I detailed in my previous messages, including allowing IPv6 ICMP echo request. However, we also have to create a new firewall rule to allow IPv6 on LAN interface i.e. take the same default IPv4 TCP rule set and configure it for v6. All IPv6 tests pass once this is done. Hope this helps.

PS - One more thing, don't forget to enable " Request only an IPv6 prefix" & "Send IPv6 prefix hint" in the WAN IPv6 settings. For some reason pfSense can work without this but not OPNSense. Go figure.

Last edited:
Has anyone managed to get 20/20 on ipv6-test.com ? I read some random guides to add AAAA hostname to static IP using free services like qnap mycloud or ddns.net but even after having registered a hostname, it doesn't pass the test 20/20. Hostname is seen as none. Next I wanted to install Let's Encrypt certificate as well. But it's a distant dream and too hard for me I guess.

You need to own the static IP in order to assign a reverse DNS record. Or else you need to sign a lease agreement with an ISP whose IP you wish to lease and use as your own static ipv6. In such cases, the ISP will create the necessary reverse DNS record. This is mostly done by people who wish to run a mail server using that specific IP.

@tatyasky W10 boxes has a temp IPv6 with the /64 delegation given by TSBB. In some systems temp addresses are enabled for privacy purposes under RFC3041. In Windows and most mobile OSes they are enabled by default while in Linux/FreeBSD etc they are disabled. Just keep this in mind. You can change the default if you wish at least on Windows.