• Thread starter Thread starter dextermorgan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 5,573

dextermorgan

I got banned!
ISP
Beam Fiber
Friend has a APC ups which has been replaced twice in one year due to various problems and now his ups is beeping whenever he opens heavy applications like games or photoshop. It stops beeping when he closes them. What can be the reason?

APC is the reason. 😀 Does the UPS show overloading indicator when he does that 😕 @Nishant could have an idea. Does not make sense though. At best, these heavy apps can run the processor and RAM and HDD at peak capacity. The difference in load should still be minimal.

Yes, the red light comes on when its beeping. But as soon as the app is closed, the beeping stops. Sometimes it even screams when more than 5 tabs are open in chrome. In theory, the ups should support the load of pc quite easily but it isn't doing it.

Most APC UPS should have a port that can be connected with the PC to see the load on it assuming this one does not have a proper display.
Too bad, the port is likely to be serial 😛 which has not existed in PCs for a long time. My experience with APC UPS has been awful. Nishant has been quite happy with his. Their customer support is quite decent if it is still under warranty. Out of warranty is going to be a costly affair I guess.

Mostly an indication of an overload. If it's APC, I'm sure it would have a serial port. Try connecting the data cable supplied with it to your system and install Powerchute (CD too is usually supplied with the UPS). It should show a popup with the exact problem mentioned in it.

Btw, what's the configuration of PC. And what's the VA rating of the UPS?

lol. APC took back his UPS and again sent him a new one. Again this replacement UPS has 1 year warranty. But friend is fed up and just installed another switch board and connected it directly to Inverter bypassing the ups completely.

APC after sales service is awesome, no doubt denying that ..but what to do if product is shit. APC engineer himself came and checked and was unable to diagonise the problem and just gave the replacement.

I've never had bad experience with APC UPSes. It's just that they use shitty Exile batteries. The batteries died twice in two years. Dumped it and installed Amaron around two years back and it still gives me around 40 mins backup (1KVA, two batteries).

I know a relative who's still using an APC UPS bought ten years ago (replaces battery couple of times) and not once it was serviced.

My case was different. They sold me a UPS which was not even capable of charging the batteries it used. So the service engineer asked me to purchase an external charger. I did that. Even that did not help as the UPS kept on killing the batteries because of poor charging. I ended up throwing it away and spending a small fortune on a Emerson model. I could have bought a low end Macbook for the same price considering it is aimed at offices! But it has worked fantastically until now. Batteries look in good shape after 1.5 years. Should last for another year or two hopefully. The only problem is that the fans run continuesly which means constant noise. And sometimes they get dirt inside them which increases the noise exponentially. I use a blower to clean them out. It works sometimes and the noise comes down to manageable level. I am considering replacing the fans with a CM or Corsair model. Something that would not make as much noise. But not sure if it's possible.

The other problem is service and support. AMC costs Rs. 8000 per year. Without AMC, engineer visit costs Rs. 1500 per visit. And I doubt they would support installing an aftermarket fan. So I would need to do it myself and hope that it fits and works fine.

Lol yeah. The quality of power that I get is pretty nice, without fluctuations. But the relative I'm talking about lives in Kerala where the power quality sucks big time. They were using a step-up transformer to increase the voltage as most of the time the voltage used to be around 160v. The power situation has improved there since the last two years though.