Troubleshoot MTNL Triband

• Thread starter Thread starter mtnltriband
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44
  • Views Views 10,760

mtnltriband

ISP
sefs
Freinds,many times the 1504 helpdesk squad of MTNL is unable to solve your problem.Nor are the engineers.Also there are many minute problems wich you yourself can solve.This thread is for the problems and diganostics.I request each and every member to help the problems here.My problem is Frequent Disconnection.When I turn on my modem, after I get the adsl link stable I open the websites but they dont.So the internet is not ON.I get reply of router when pinged, I am able to log in the modem but cant open pages.When I run dignostic test , the DNS test fails, even I dont get reply of DNS when pinged manually.By chance if the internet is working within 30 minutes it gets disconnected and again when I ping DNS i dont get the reply.So one thing is clear the problem is with this DNS.When I call mtnl they say that every thing is OK from their side and the problem is at my end.Yes they are right as others are able to surf in my neighbourhood.Now please tell me whats the solution for this problem.One more thing,Once upon a time I faced this problem, what I did I removed the ethernet cable from lan port of PC and once again inserted it and it worked!!! but then I dont understood when I was able to get reply of modem so wasnt the cable connected properly.If i was loose connected then how was I getting reply?? any answers here??BTW, please help me in solving my frequent disconnection problem and tell me abt DNS whats this

Open the Lan card setting by double clicking on the lan icon in the tray.Click on Properties >> General >> Highlight Internet Protocol and go into its Properties.Thereafter click on "use following dns server address" and enter the following information : Preffered DNS Server : 4.2.2.1Alternate DNS Server : 192.168.1.1Click ok and then ok again to save the settings.SHould solve ur problem..these intructions are for win XP

4.2.2.1 has a response time of over 200ms. Web surfing would be majorly slow. I'd recommend a DNS server closer to home - VSNL - 202.54.1.18< 20ms response time.

Problem with these MTNL and VSNL dns servers is they take too long to resolve international websites and MTNL many times gives time-outs which is why i use foreign DNS's They dont make surfing "majorly slow"

Originally posted by baudhayan@Apr 5 2006, 12:34 AM
why not reliance DNS 202.138.96.2 , 202.138.103.100
[snapback]47159[/snapback]
[/quote]

If I use a DNS other than that provided by MTNL will it work and is it ok to use a DNS of other than MTNL.

ofcourse u can use any DNS so long as it allows u access, the reliance DNS that u have quoted above do not allow computers from external networks like MTNL to use them..

Originally posted by cyberwiz@Apr 5 2006, 08:38 PM
ofcourse u can use any DNS so long as it allows u access, the reliance DNS that u have quoted above do not allow computers from external networks like MTNL to use them..
[snapback]47209[/snapback]
[/quote]

Dear cyberwiz,
I have changed the dns server as per your instruction.But again the problem is there.This time the problem is such that that modem adsl light is solid green, status UP and IP enebled, can log into the modem but cant open the pages.( this problem happens seldomly)

Coz of the above problem, where status is up and IP is enabled but cant able to open the pages I have to again and again reconfigure the modem even though the configuration is correct.

can you pls tell me further how to solve the problem.

I havechanged the dns and the problem occures frequently though not all the time.

Note: the problem doesnt occures all the time can say like 2 times out of every 10 times.

How have u connected the modem to the computer? is it via the ethernet or USB?USB is known to cause problems

Originally posted by cyberwiz@Apr 6 2006, 02:43 PM
How have u connected the modem to the computer? is it via the ethernet or USB?

USB is known to cause problems
[snapback]47270[/snapback]
[/quote]

ETHERNET port

do you mean that even when the adsl light shows green and the adsl status on router page shows it is connected and has obtained a wan ip, still you are unable to view pages? :huh:i had a problem a couple of times when the adsl light shows green but the router isnt connected.

get the damn thing changed..might be faulty..u dont pay MTNL for sitting & staring at the router ..u pay for surfing the web..which this router is not letting u do..By exchanging it it'll be clear to u if indeed the router was faulty or the problem is with ur telephone line or computer..By the way have u connected the telephone line coming from the exchange directly into splitter or are u using any parallel connection on it before the splitter?

i don't u must'nt hv tried to connect thru USB, but incase u hv'nt then try it and let us know if it works