• Thread starter Thread starter SVK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 5,559

SVK

twitter.com/svknet
ISP
Jio Fiber, Airtel 5G
Indiantelevision.com's > Digital Edge> Trai brings sportscasters under 12-minute ad ceiling

Sports broadcasters are also being brought under the ambit of the Trai regulation that allows only 12 minutes of advertisements per hour, prompting a strong reaction from the stakeholders as it would severely upset their business models that are under pressure from high acquisition costs and severe subscription revenue leakages due to under-reporting of subscribers by cable TV operators.

In a draft amendment to the regulation The Standards of Quality of Service (Duration of Advertisements in Television Channels) Regulations, 2012, the regulator has withdrawn the leeway granted in the case of live broadcast of a sporting event.

In the regulations notified on 14 May 2012, sports broadcasters were allowed to carry advertisements during the breaks in the sporting action. The Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (Tdsat) had in June stayed the implementation of the cap on advertisement on an appeal filed by broadcasters.

Good Decision. Hope it is implemented sooner 🙂

Nothing gets implemented and they need to remove the L shaped ads .....

The broadcasters are worried about high acquisition cost - I ask them why the hell are they acquiring the cricket rights for high cost...

This is very much needed. We miss out on crucial action because of stupid ads. Even HD channels have started showing ads or promos for channels. When we pay for channels, we should be given ad-free broadcast. If the channels do not get correct revenue because of under-deceleration of cable connections, it is their problem, not of satellite TV subscribers.

The broadcasters are worried about high acquisition cost - I ask them why the hell are they acquiring the cricket rights for high cost...

I completely agree. Let them not broadcast some stupid cricket series. Office productivity will go up and students will concentrate on their studies.

Remember during the Olympics how DD Sport would cut for ads the very second a boxing round ended. The jerks didn't even wait for round scores to be announced!

They r sports channel ..So they will show wht interests the viewing public ..Office productivity or students studies r not their headache .. If ppl r lame enough to watch matches instead of working then its the ppl fault ..These r no excuse for them not acquiring the telecast rights .. They see some profits in after getting rights at such a high rate .. It suits their business model.. The govt can't be so stupid tht it keep changing rules every now or then ..Govt should just make the rules and move away .. Let the business houses do the business how they want within those rules and guidelines ..If govt keep changing the rules every year it surely won't be very pleasing for their business ..

Whatever business model is there of these companies is not our headache ... The govt has to intervene and make the viewing enjoyble .. What fun is it seeing cricket when the keep showing L Shaped ads after every ball ?? This was never there before so didnt the companies make money then ?? Even in HD telecast how many ads star cricket is showing .. this is just not acceptable ...

Govt should make the rules and broadcasters should follow them ..But if govt keep intervening every 15 days than it will be impossible for broadcasters to do business ..The issue here is tht the babus in our bureaucracy r so lame tht they don't know the current trend is .. So they don't generally make rules accordingly .. And sometime corruption also plays it part ..Now this 12 minute rule is nothing but an idea of some useless mind .. There r many times someone is injured.. there r some drinks break .. So many more things .. How can a sport broadcaster be able to follow it is just beyond my understanding ..The whole blame should be placed on govt .. Not the broadcasters .. I agree tht viewing public is made to suffer cos of this tussle ..But u can't force some illogical rules on a private business house in the name of "fun and enjoyment"

^They can show "sponsored" analysis & highlights & what not during such breaks. But sports like cricket, a single ad per over is high enough. Here they jam in 2-3 or even more, without even showing scores/replays & even as commentary is in progress & thats not fair.

I guess football is the only game which is telecasted with out any ads during the match...

Yes, its the sport itself which determines the inactive time. Football is played almost continuously whereas Cricket have time between overs, drinks, change in equipment or major changes in field. Take Golf for instance, if only one person was playing at a time, there will be so much time for the player to walk across field to the next place where he has previously hit the ball to.

Basically TRAI has not mentioned which Sports (Cricket, Football, F1) channel should have 12 minute rule 🙂It depends upon broadcaster as how they manage to squeeze ads in allocated 12 min/hour.Regarding higher amount paid to get rights, I guess broadcasters always had income received from adverts by broadcasting particular sports events. Hence there was big competition to acquire rights. Now if they know they have only 12 min/hour time slot for ads, they would have to start planning. Besides sponsors should keep this rule in mind before sponsoring event.I think this rule would benefit viewers, Sponsors would suffer as ad rate would go up for them.

I guess football is the only game which is telecasted with out any ads during the match...

include hockey and also tennis... too much less ads. esp. in India

Yes Hockey we can say that but in Tennis they telecast ads during the breaks of each games...