Trai to redefine 'Broadband'

• Thread starter Thread starter disher
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 88
  • Views Views 17,737
oh!..did it?..oh! well,. the govt. IS slow..lol. n wen r v getting TRUE broadband?..i just had an idea: let's start a revolution n protest against ISPs overcharging us. If autorickshaw-drivers can start a strike every now and then. Then even, we too can start a strike and boycott Indian ISPs. We'll use satelitte, we'll get the foreign ISPs. but NOT USE Indian ISPs. Anyone hands with me?..I'm serious guys it's time WE THE CITIZENS OF INDIA, DID SOMETHING.

It was a bot few days back, dont worry things ok now..🙂

oh!..did it?..oh! well,. the govt. IS slow..lol. n wen r v getting TRUE broadband?..i just had an idea: let's start a revolution n protest against ISPs overcharging us. If autorickshaw-drivers can start a strike every now and then. Then even, we too can start a strike and boycott Indian ISPs. We'll use satelitte, we'll get the foreign ISPs. but NOT USE Indian ISPs.

Anyone hands with me?..I'm serious guys it's time WE THE CITIZENS OF INDIA, DID SOMETHING.
hey cheekrox ur just 16 years old and u dnt knw many things protesting is not tat easy work to do so hereafter think twice before posting anything😗

hey cheekrox ur just 16 years old and u dnt knw many things protesting is not tat easy work to do so hereafter think twice before posting anything😗
hm...wel, srinitheultimate since ur elder than me..u shudve thought of it long ago. INTERNET is one of our BASIC rights..and so I'm not resting untill I get True BB.

what makes internet access our basic rights? i mean how and why?i think education, food, air, housing and clean water are our basic rights. the government fails to provide these. internet? in a far away land.

Sushubh bhaiyya correct me if I'm wrong but it is this VERY internet which is allowing you to post on this forum and on other forums as well. The Internet is the information superhighway, so it comes under the RTI: Right To Information. And as far as other basic rights are concerned, the govt. should provide them too. Food, Pollution-Free Air, Shelter, News, Water, Education, RTI!!! are the Basic premise of human existance. Education too infact comes under RTI, as it is a way to get information; but all the information eventually comes from the vast database of the Internet.

@cheekrox I'm very happy to see you in such high spirits.. Keep it up it sure will help you in the future..You are right in a way.. but protesting on the roads for INTERNET.. i dont think so..probably a petition online.. or somehow getting it in the newspapers.. But still i dont think it will be taken into much consideration as our country has a lot of other problems to deal with!!!

Maybe our govt doesn't cover the high speed internet as a basic right...
Prolly they thing internet access through 64kbps Adsl line is good enough.
🙁

Sushubh bhaiyya correct me if I'm wrong but it is this VERY internet which is allowing you to post on this forum and on other forums as well. The Internet is the information superhighway, so it comes under the RTI: Right To Information. And as far as other basic rights are concerned, the govt. should provide them too. Food, Pollution-Free Air, Shelter, News, Water, Education, RTI!!! are the Basic premise of human existance. Education too infact comes under RTI, as it is a way to get information; but all the information eventually comes from the vast database of the Internet.

Sushubh bhaiyya correct me if I'm wrong but it is this VERY internet which is allowing you to post on this forum and on other forums as well.

maybe the government should also provide all citizens of our country a computer along with a car and a house and an air conditioner and perhaps anything that is necessary to live a comfortable life.

maybe the government should also provide all citizens of our country a computer along with a car and a house and an air conditioner and perhaps anything that is necessary to live a comfortable life.
u left something like paying our mobile & landline bills,electricity bills and taxes etc :hysterical: guys our country is an developing country so v have many issues to protest other than internet so think how to smash out poverty from our country then v shall protest for these kind of things

@cheekrox
dont compare internet with food,shelter and education coz v can live without internet and other entertainments but cant live without the essential things such as food,shelter and education as i said before ur age has no responsibilities so u will think like this only when u grow up then u will know the exact reason for my post

Hi fellas:

CNN-IBN brought the TATA-indicom thing yet again on 02.01.2008 ... and again a comment from me on the removal of the prefix "up to" ... it is a start.

I have also written to Mr. Gupta at TRAI, twice. One eMail is similar to the one suggested by Abhishek and the other follows hereafter. What is important though, is that I sent them a very basic cost comparison for broadband in a few selected countries... also a few news items... all for them to ponder upon!

Attention:
Mr. S. K. Gupta
TRAI Advisor (Converged Network)
Telephone No.: +91-11-23217914
Telefax No.: +91-11-23211998

Dear Mr. S. K. Gupta,

Your name has clearly been mentioned by the TRAI Chairman, Mr. Nripendra Misra in his “Status Paper on Broadband Speed”, dated January 1st, 2008.

The paper being referred to here, also most of its eventual consequences have been duly covered by the press all over India.
You can imagine why, can you not?!
Simply put: It is a big issue and it is definitely holding up India’s advancement!

That stated, there are BIG FLAWS in Mr. Misra’s “Status Paper on Broadband Speed”, as noticed by many of us real (and regular) users of the Internet in our large country:

1. Why does TRAI not compare us to countries like Japan (Min. 24Mbps), South Korea (10MBps), France (2Mbps), Germany (1Mbps), etc. only? These countries are very advanced in their definitions of what is to be termed broadband and what not? Mr. Misra/ TRAI should benchmark us against the upper end, rather than mentioning Australia, Malaysia, Pakistan, South Africa, etc.?

2. Why does TRAI not mention that India is amongst the highest priced markets? Please refer to the table that I have researched and attached as a PDF document (ADSL Rates Worldwide - Selected Countries).

3. Why does TRAI not refer to what is most important to us consumers: Lower, internationally comparable prices for higher speeds with better service levels?

4. Why is there no mention of minimum quality of service (downtimes, credits, etc.)? The paper is incomplete if it one only mentions “Speed” and not the quality of speed (fluctuations, disparity between download and upload, etc.).

5. Why is TRAI not using good and sensible examples when looking at “Applications” (Page 5 of the paper)? Show us please, how you get good quality VOIP (Voice Over IP) at 64 kbps? TRAI even calls it “voice chatting”, a term unknown to the international community... who should be understanding that expression?!

IMPORTANT NOTE:
All policies or such that are to become policies eventually will hinge on point 3 (above). That is the ‘make it or break it’ point. ISPs have to be monitored more thoroughly by TRAI. Nodal officers have to take their jobs very seriously and not ignore consumers completely, as they have done so far.

Please re-access the incomplete TRAI status paper and then research, enhance and re-phrase your recommendations to DoT (etc.), so that acceptable and solid policies emerge.

Let it be known that we -- the consumers of India -- are grateful that there is something positive taking shape. Let's now all hope that common sense and wisdom prevail and a well-researched policy emerges?!

Thanking you & with best regards

Fellas, this should make a difference... you must write NOW...

um..dude, where is the PDF?

Maybe our govt doesn't cover the high speed internet as a basic right...
Prolly they thing internet access through 64kbps Adsl line is good enough.
🙁

hm..so MAC, don't you think we can atleast give a petition? or get it in the newspapers?..Cmon maan, I'm sick of being given "broad"-narrowband @ 128kbps. I mean, there aren't even any significantly new plans being introduced!

u left something like paying our mobile & landline bills,electricity bills and taxes etc :hysterical: guys our country is an developing country so v have many issues to protest other than internet so think how to smash out poverty from our country then v shall protest for these kind of things

@cheekrox
dont compare internet with food,shelter and education coz v can live without internet and other entertainments but cant live without the essential things such as food,shelter and education as i said before ur age has no responsibilities so u will think like this only when u grow up then u will know the exact reason for my post

well, I'm not going to argue or convince you that we need true BB if you're happy with a crappy 128/256 kbps connection which is not really "broad"-band

hey our country is fully polluted with bribes and here v cant get anything as like the other developed and developing countries and know one thing everyone loves to have an high speed internet but even if v protest no body will care 4 it 🙁

Tells operators to modify ads on speeds they offer. For subscribers who wonder why their high-speed “broadband” connection of 256 kilo bites per second (kbps) is not fast enough to play video games or download movie clips quickly, here is some good news. Responding to complaints from harassed consumers who are offered “broadband” at speeds much slower than those stipulated by the government, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) has taken a tough call. It has written to operators saying they can no longer advertise broadband services that say they offer “up to” 256 kbps speeds, thereby circumventing the rules by offering services at far lower speeds. Instead, Trai has directed all operators to clearly mention the minimum guaranteed download speeds in various packages. The regulator said operators have promised to abide by the new direction. Meanwhile, the regulator has also mooted a discussion paper, which was released today, on whether the present level of 256 kbps defined as the minimum speed for a broadband connection should be raised to bring it on a par with international standards. The paper said in countries like France and Singapore, broadband is defined as a minimum speed of 512 kbps. In the US, however, the speed is limited to 200 kbps, in Hungary to 256 kbps, while in China all internet users other than dial-up and wireless are considered broadband users. For consumers, a rise in the speed definition for broadband means two things. On the positive side it means many services like high definition movies, tele-medicine and video streaming would all be possible since these services require speeds as high as 4 to 6 mbps. But on the flip side it will mean that consumers, at least for the time being, have to shell out much more for higher speeds. A 256 kbps broadband connection is currently available at Rs 250 a month. A connection of 2 mbps would make you poorer by Rs 3,300 a month. At the moment only 4 per cent of the nine million broadband users in the country use speeds of above 256 kbps. But many experts said the impending entry of wireless technologies like 3G and Wimax and the spread of optical fibre across the country could swiftly increase broadband penetration and therefore lead to a dramatic fall in prices.

Source Trai to redefine `broadband`

It USA speed of 768 kbps is broadband not 200kbps.