• Thread starter Thread starter disher
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 88
  • Views Views 17,736

disher

all in one!!
ISP
ADL
Tells operators to modify ads on speeds they offer. For subscribers who wonder why their high-speed “broadband” connection of 256 kilo bites per second (kbps) is not fast enough to play video games or download movie clips quickly, here is some good news. Responding to complaints from harassed consumers who are offered “broadband” at speeds much slower than those stipulated by the government, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) has taken a tough call. It has written to operators saying they can no longer advertise broadband services that say they offer “up to” 256 kbps speeds, thereby circumventing the rules by offering services at far lower speeds. Instead, Trai has directed all operators to clearly mention the minimum guaranteed download speeds in various packages. The regulator said operators have promised to abide by the new direction. Meanwhile, the regulator has also mooted a discussion paper, which was released today, on whether the present level of 256 kbps defined as the minimum speed for a broadband connection should be raised to bring it on a par with international standards. The paper said in countries like France and Singapore, broadband is defined as a minimum speed of 512 kbps. In the US, however, the speed is limited to 200 kbps, in Hungary to 256 kbps, while in China all internet users other than dial-up and wireless are considered broadband users. For consumers, a rise in the speed definition for broadband means two things. On the positive side it means many services like high definition movies, tele-medicine and video streaming would all be possible since these services require speeds as high as 4 to 6 mbps. But on the flip side it will mean that consumers, at least for the time being, have to shell out much more for higher speeds. A 256 kbps broadband connection is currently available at Rs 250 a month. A connection of 2 mbps would make you poorer by Rs 3,300 a month. At the moment only 4 per cent of the nine million broadband users in the country use speeds of above 256 kbps. But many experts said the impending entry of wireless technologies like 3G and Wimax and the spread of optical fibre across the country could swiftly increase broadband penetration and therefore lead to a dramatic fall in prices.

Source Trai to redefine `broadband`

Thanks for the info 🙂

Thanks for the info, its high time TRAI stop all these nonsense and put a curb on all gimmicks from BB providers. There should be a way to constantly monitor the speed from BB and generate monthly bill accordingly. Eventhough I am having a 2MBPS connection, I am getting a speed of 200 - 400 kbps (in speed tests). If I complain, the speed will get boosted to 2 MBPS for 2 days and will come back to 200 kbps range again. 😡

Only the reporter seems to be claiming "targets 2 mbps" there is nothing of the sort in the article, also:

"The regulator is taking efforts to ensure a minimum 256 Kbps speed for broadband connections, while some players have suggested raising the minimum speed of broadband connections."

The first paragraph is the reporter's assumption. The only other mention of 2 mbps is about "other countries".

that's all. nothing to see here. third rate reporting as usual.

i read it. no mention of any intention to target 2 mbps. just a comparison to other countries, plus a quick mention of FTTH.these old senile morons think installing FTTH will help boost speeds. we already have ADSL2+ which we are not utilising to the fullest.there is even a link to "free online dictionary" where they say broadband is anything above dialup's 56 kbps speed! hahin addition to the list/comparison of various countries, they repeatedly mention japan and s.korea but say the minimum speed is 2 mbps there... there don't talk about the typical/affordable packages which are 10 mbps and sometimes multiples of that!we need cheap international bandwidth so that ISPs can offer truly high-speed unlimited affordable packages.lame. shameful. depressing.

Its a fact....but then instead of lamenting here..We should spam one S K Gupta as it is his email id that has been written...they have invited over suggestions from the stakeholders...Let me phrase the email and please copy and paste and send it across...

Dear Mr S.K. Gupta (guptask@trai.gov.in or guptask61@gmail.com)

I appreciate your efforts to release a consultation paper online. As expected, it has raised a considerable excitement in the media about the speeds of broadband. as you are aware, the existing players are capable of leasing out the international bandwidth and providing last mile access with speeds exceeding 256kbps. However, due to laxity on part of TRAI, they have been taking customers for a royal ride.

I am sure that you are aware of the gross mismanagement in the name of "broadband". So what even if 2 Mbps speeds are available in this country. They come with crampy download limits which limits it's utility for access for high speed applications. The whole gamut of the telecom services has been held to ransom by the established players.

You as a regulator, should safeguard customer's interests but have sorely failed. We are keenly awaiting concrete resolutions on your part and force the department of telecom and vested stake holders to implement your directions in letter and spirit. We also demand a white paper on the implementation of uniform speeds of access of above 2 Mbps which is affordable in terms of existing price tags.

We hope that you would heed to our requests and enforce the directions straightaway.

Yours truly,
etc.

If you copy and paste from your respective email id's I am sure that this would be heard. From all accounts, I am not going to spare them till they answer my emails this time. They have asked for comments from the general public and this is the time to act guys....Now or f***ing never. Let's make this a bloody new year resolution to fight for our rights...and jolly well WE CAN DO IT!

I have done my part and lets do it guys...Just copy and paste the email and let them know the collective voice of consumers..

sent it. do we have other email addresses where TRAI might be expecting to receive customer feedback/grievances?

as posted on VT forum, getting an error from the TRAI address:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

guptask@trai.gov.in

Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 13): 550 5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias: guptask@trai.gov.in

thanks, sent email there, no bounce for a while now....

i just saw on cnbc channel there will be a program called "india telecom 2007" tomorrow at 530pm and again on sunday dont remember the time. i think its mostly cellphone/spectrum shite they did use the word "broadband" and "bandwidth" but the retards in tv use those terms for cellular voice

Hi fellas:

CNN-IBN brought the TATA-indicom thing yet again on 02.01.2008 ... and again a comment from me on the removal of the prefix "up to" ... it is a start.

I have also written to Mr. Gupta at TRAI, twice. One eMail is similar to the one suggested by Abhishek and the other follows hereafter. What is important though, is that I sent them a very basic cost comparison for broadband in a few selected countries... also a few news items... all for them to ponder upon!

Attention:
Mr. S. K. Gupta
TRAI Advisor (Converged Network)
Telephone No.: +91-11-23217914
Telefax No.: +91-11-23211998

Dear Mr. S. K. Gupta,

Your name has clearly been mentioned by the TRAI Chairman, Mr. Nripendra Misra in his “Status Paper on Broadband Speed”, dated January 1st, 2008.

The paper being referred to here, also most of its eventual consequences have been duly covered by the press all over India.
You can imagine why, can you not?!
Simply put: It is a big issue and it is definitely holding up India’s advancement!

That stated, there are BIG FLAWS in Mr. Misra’s “Status Paper on Broadband Speed”, as noticed by many of us real (and regular) users of the Internet in our large country:

1. Why does TRAI not compare us to countries like Japan (Min. 24Mbps), South Korea (10MBps), France (2Mbps), Germany (1Mbps), etc. only? These countries are very advanced in their definitions of what is to be termed broadband and what not? Mr. Misra/ TRAI should benchmark us against the upper end, rather than mentioning Australia, Malaysia, Pakistan, South Africa, etc.?

2. Why does TRAI not mention that India is amongst the highest priced markets? Please refer to the table that I have researched and attached as a PDF document (ADSL Rates Worldwide - Selected Countries).

3. Why does TRAI not refer to what is most important to us consumers: Lower, internationally comparable prices for higher speeds with better service levels?

4. Why is there no mention of minimum quality of service (downtimes, credits, etc.)? The paper is incomplete if it one only mentions “Speed” and not the quality of speed (fluctuations, disparity between download and upload, etc.).

5. Why is TRAI not using good and sensible examples when looking at “Applications” (Page 5 of the paper)? Show us please, how you get good quality VOIP (Voice Over IP) at 64 kbps? TRAI even calls it “voice chatting”, a term unknown to the international community... who should be understanding that expression?!

IMPORTANT NOTE:
All policies or such that are to become policies eventually will hinge on point 3 (above). That is the ‘make it or break it’ point. ISPs have to be monitored more thoroughly by TRAI. Nodal officers have to take their jobs very seriously and not ignore consumers completely, as they have done so far.

Please re-access the incomplete TRAI status paper and then research, enhance and re-phrase your recommendations to DoT (etc.), so that acceptable and solid policies emerge.

Let it be known that we -- the consumers of India -- are grateful that there is something positive taking shape. Let's now all hope that common sense and wisdom prevail and a well-researched policy emerges?!

Thanking you & with best regards

Fellas, this should make a difference... you must write NOW...

Ajoy has a list of the numbers of the people in TRAI. I believe that it makes sense to hammer the morons till our voice is heard. Why is there a lukewarm response to the situation here? I was expecting that all of us would carry this fight foward and it has taken Ajoy a lot of effort to build up his case and do the needful.

Things dont happen by magic in a democracy and if you feel that if it's your right to ask for a decent service from the service providers then you have to make an effort. It wouldn't happen as if by magic that a stork would deliver 2 Mbps unlimited to your desktops. If most of you pancies feel this way then it's better to take a hike than fight out the old fashioned way.

I am not willing to cow down to the odds and instead fight out and do my bit. I do eagerly solicit your numbers because a mob is better than a crowd to knock some sense in the retards sitting and deciding about policy control. Since there is no option to attach the excel sheet of the important numbers, you could download the numbers from here:
vinuthomas.com >> Discussion Forum >> ISP Discussions >> General ISP Discussions >> TRAI to redefine Broadband!

Keep up the good work Ajoy. May your tribe increase....

thanks, sent email there, no bounce for a while now....

Yup looks good as of now. No bounce for me too! 🙂

Keep up the good work Ajoy. May your tribe increase....

I agree completely. A really good job.