TRAI DND App: Do Not Disturb (DND 3.0)

nope. google forgets all the blocked numbers when you reset the phone. i always have to start blocking them again.

at least for me. it never restore the blocked numbers for me.

Hmm... I will have to check on that. I do an monthly clean install of the ROM on my Nexus 4, it always brings back the blocked list. Maybe it is stored locally then, on the phones internal storage, I don't wipe that using TWRP when installing the ROM.

i reset using the internal option on my phone. always cleans up the block list 😛

ROFL, that will wipe out all the data on your phone, mine is less severe than that. I used TWRP recovery that allows me to choose what all types of storage I can wipe from the phone

i only reset once or twice a year. when the phone becomes unbearably slow. or android beta becomes to buggy for regular usage.

Like you said, it is very effective in lodging the complaint, but that is as it seems, as effective as it will ever get. The first of the "investigations" that were done was for a "weight loss" sms spammer using an MTNL Delhi ID, the reply they gave "No action taken as this number does not show any telemarketing activity". Case closed. The rest simply have chosen not to respond.

I think these so called "investigations" are just a sham, they'll probably only check if its a registered telemarketer or not and then action it.

From what I've observed, they are not that effective at blocking spam from shortcode based senders. I've successfully gotten every single random 10 digit mobile number disconnected who somehow got it into their heads that I'm in dire need of a massage.

It was after wondering how all of a sudden this spamming started, it dawned upon me, I had registered my Flipkart account just a few weeks ago with it. Hence, Flipkart seems to have directly or indirectly given/sold my number out.
Anyways, back to using localised blocking

If you buy from any third party seller on these marketplaces, it will most likely end up in some list for sure. A lot of different folks end up having access to your details - the seller, the shipper etc. etc. And it's not as if all these companies have excellent data security practices, bound to be leaked or sold, just a matter of time.

the app allows you to report xx-xxxx style messages which seems to be stupid.
the app indicates that some of my complaints were rejected because i had opted in. i cannot believe i opted in for a service that sent me slimming packages. with no proper system to opt out of services you ended up subscribing to for whatever reason... this is stupid.
lenskart, foodpanda type services would spam you daily with no opt out details in the message or on their website. sometimes i get lucky by sending them a message through facebook/twitter. but not always.

trai really needs to make it mandatory for all of these companies to offer a clear opt out option on their website/app.

I read somewhere recently that the TRAI has made it mandatory to include an Opt-out sms from a sender ID every 2 months or so. Not that these spammers adhere to it. I made the mistake of registering for Godrej Natures Basket and have been for the last two years spammed with kitchen recipes every few days. Numerous calls and complaints with promises to be taken off the list went in vain. After this TRAI directive, been receiving sms with the option to give a missed call to a number to unsubscribe and as expected still getting spammed.

Well this sucks.

OMcb1IA.jpg