TRAI: 2 mbps should be minimum speed of broadband connections

• Thread starter Thread starter xuxiq
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Views Views 6,865

xuxiq

bobo
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) today indicated that the Government should redefine broadband services making it mandatory for operators to offer at least 2Mbps speed.

According to existing norms, broadband is defined with speed of only 256 kbps.

Speaking at a telecom seminar organised by Assocham, Dr J. S. Sarma, Chairman, TRAI, said that the target set for roll out of broadband by the Government can be achieved only if the definition of broadband is redefined and resources from USO fund are utilised.

Dr Sarma said that while there are countries which offer speeds of over 20Mbps, India is still stuck at 256 kbps.

Changing the definition of broadband will have major ramification for operators if they want to claim subsidy from the Government.

If offering a minimum of 2Mbps speed is made mandatory, operators will have to ramp up their network.

“We do not think it is feasible to move from 256 kbps to 2Mbps in one shot. If at all the definition has to be revised then they should move to 512kbps, otherwise it will be too costly for both operators and subscribers,” said a GSM player.

However, the WiMax industry is backing the proposal.

According to WiMax players, the technology will enable operators to offer more than 2Mbps of wireless broadband services.

Welcome, move.
'Hope' its implemented.

Link: The Hindu Business Line : TRAI for ‘redefining’ floor broadband speed at 2Mbps

“We do not think it is feasible to move from 256 kbps to 2Mbps in one shot. If at all the definition has to be revised then they should move to 512kbps, otherwise it will be too costly for both operators and subscribers."

Cry babies.

----------

i had say 1mbps ul for now. and it should be increased by another mbps every year.

does this mean airtel will change its FUP.I hope it dosent go the tata model.Exceed your limit and get disconnected.

I doubt that this proposal will go ahead for next 2 years.

“We do not think it is feasible to move from 256 kbps to 2Mbps in one shot. If at all the definition has to be revised then they should move to 512kbps, otherwise it will be too costly for both operators and subscribers,” said a GSM player.

I hate such lies. ALL ISPs now have 2mbps plans which means their lines are 2mbps ready. There are 3 types of lines that I know of
leased line, LAN based internet and ADSL.

All 3 support speeds of atleast24mbps (theoretical) and practically ALREADY SUPPORTS 2mbps.

They just dont want to do it because they are already minting money and dont want that to change. NOONE cares for progress of INDIA.

When Dayanidhi Maran declared upgrade of MTNL/BSNL plans to 2mbps they did it within 2months and I have seen speeds of 1.7mbps consistently on my line since then.

So if MTNL/BSNL government ppl can do it why cant private operators? Answer is they cant do it because they dont want to do it.

They might have to purchase additional bandwidths but I guess they have to otherwise India will always stay on 256kbps line and ISPs wud never change it.

ha ha.. it would take 5 yrs for TRAI to implement this.. :grin:

Piyush missed the post by iPiyush 😀[thread]50071[/thread]

Its good to know that atleast TRAI is aware other countries have 20 mbps speeds , IMO TRAI should be given more powers to force companies to introduce better plans

Hope this gets done by 2020 :wewin:

hmmm
by2020:huh:
it shud be donw within next 2 years ..... :inodding: