TP-Link TL-R480T+ Load Balance Broadband Router

Check TP-Link TL-R480T+ Deals on: Flipkart | Amazon | Snapdeal | Paytm

Rs. 4250 on Amazon today

This arrived today and seems to be working fine. Though I realized the mistake soon enough. Ethernet ports in the front means that it is not really suited for home use. Designed for server racks. I have somehow managed to fit it under the table where it is not causing much of a mess. Still... Consider the lower end model (TP-Link TL-R470T+) which is probably a better model for home use.

I have configured it to switch from Excitel to Airtel when Excitel drops. If I take the Excitel cable out, switchover is instant. I have not any chance to see how long it takes when Excitel disappears from the backend. Nishant has the R470 model and he told me that it takes less than 10 seconds. Would post when I experience a downtime while I am sitting on the PC.

User interface of the load balancer backend is simple to understand. Performance seems to be good too. One major issue is that the ethernet ports are not gigabit so if your ISP is offering you 100mbps+ connectivity, these are not going to work for you. So this model is definitely not future proof.

Hello brothers,

Thank you for sharing all your knowledge about TP-Link load balancers.

I have purchased TP-Link TL-R470T+ Load Balance Broadband Router and using it with Hathway (56Mbps) as my primary ISP and MTNL(8Mbps) as my backup ISP.

I am facing an issue and the issue is that when my hathway internet goes down the tplink load balancer doesn't failover to my backup ISP automatically. I have to do it manually by going to 192.168.0.1. I have applied the settings for automatic failover but it doesn't failover to my backup ISP.

Any idea what might be the issue? Is it related to hathway or the tplink load balancer?

Thanks in advance.
Kiran

this device is shit. i had to switch to load balancing feature myself because failover does not work well. in my case, it was not switching back to primary connection from secondary connection when primary connection came back online. as a result, it kept on consuming data from the second connection.

even on load balancer mode, it tends to not handle balancing properly if one of the connection goes down for a few seconds. as a result i end up with dead internet for a few seconds. but not as big of a problem as the one on failover setting.

Thank you for your reply.

When I was searching for load balancers I didn't have any knowledge about other available load balancers in the market.

This is strange when I plug off my Hathway ethernet wire that goes in the load balancer, it fails over to MTNL and when I connect the Hathway ethernet wire it goes back to the Hathway.

But when the DS and US lights on the Hathway routers goes off the TP-Link router doesn't seem to understand if the Hathway internet is on or not. I think it gets confused. I don't know I may be wrong.

BTW I use netuptime monitor to notify me when my internet goes down. The software pings me with a sound, I then logon to 192..0.1 to switch my internet to MTNL.

I purchased the TP-Link load balancer 4 months back only. BTW Which load balancer router would you suggest me?

Cheers
Kiran

this device is shit. i had to switch to load balancing feature myself because failover does not work well. in my case, it was not switching back to primary connection from secondary connection when primary connection came back online. as a result, it kept on consuming data from the second connection.

even on load balancer mode, it tends to not handle balancing properly if one of the connection goes down for a few seconds. as a result i end up with dead internet for a few seconds. but not as big of a problem as the one on failover setting.

Did you add this setting to your load balancer?

21g7v5s.png

i had same experience with my unit. failover works fine if i manually disconnect the primary network and reconnect it. but it does not work well when internet goes down and come back randomly. it failed for me nearly 20% of the times which was an issue enough to not use it in failover mode.

the device has not received a software update since 2015 i believe. i think it is a software issue and since it is unlikely to get more updates... these issues are not going to be fixed.

there are not many load balancing options in this price segment. Asus has some premium models which can do load balancing. ubnt has some models that can do load balancing but you have to do some manual scripting on them i believe.

i am in no position to offer you any suggestion except to use the device in load balancing mode itself. set the Upstream/Downstream Bandwidth setting on second connection very low so that the ratio of bandwidth fetched from it remains low.

My hardware version is TL-R470T+ v5.0 and Firmware Version: 1.2.0 Build 20160809 Rel.35760s

It's so bad TP-Link should fix it. 😛ensive:😛ensive:😛ensive:

Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20150526 Rel.71825s
Hardware Version: TL-R480T+ v7.0

we seem to have different variant of the same model.

never mind. we have different model. yours have the ports at the back. but i guess software is similar and hence the same issues.

impressively, your firmware is from august 2016. mine is from may 2015. so they did update the software last year but the issues still remain.

impressively, your firmware is from august 2016. mine is from may 2015. so they did update the software last year but the issues still remain.

firmware for your load balancer is also available. Check it out. Sorry, its available for V8 and yours is V7.0

Hello Sushubh,

Thank you for all your help and guidance.

I have found out something. Can you please try it at your end and let me know if it works for you or not.

The failover system of TP-Link load balancer works properly when we disconnect the ISP ethernet cable from the load balancer but it doesn't work when the internet stops working from the ISP side.

There is a setting in the tp-link load balancer that allows all the WAN's to ping the web but by default, it's in Auto mode. When it's in Auto mode it doesn't work properly. So, we need to put it in Manual mode and the setting will look like this. Make sure you do it for all the WAN connections. Now, when the load balancer is not able to ping the web (8.8.8.8) via the primary ISP it will failover to the secondary ISP automatically.

HhLiqqR.png

I heard that the tp-link load balancer has a delay mechanism. Once the primary ISP gets back online the secondary ISP WAN will stay online for at least 5-6 mins and after that, the secondary ISP WAN will get disconnected if you have you set up a failover setting in the Link Backup tab under the Load balance under the Advanced tab.

Cheers
Kiran