tp-link Archer C50 Slow download and High Upload Speed on 1277 BSNL FTTH Plan

• Thread starter Thread starter Enix
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 8,136
Got the router replaced two times.. same results.. and the speedtest shows my download speed as 75 to 82 Mbps but when I download something from Microsoft Store, the speed shown there is 100.4 Mbps

It looks similar to a weird solution for my performance issue that happened yesterday. I noticed slow pings to Cloudflare and Google India servers. Later I noticed that I was using the default BSNL DNS when I reset the modem. Changing the DNS to alternative DNS immediately fixed the ping and other performance issues. I know this doesn't make any sense. But, it worked for me.

Changing the DNS to OpenDNS in router settings and connecting my pc to router via Ethernet fixes the difference in upload and download speed.. now the Download speed is higher than upload speed always. Also, the download speed over wifi increased from 20 to around 35 Mbps (Max 42) , but couldnt push any further, still the upload speed over wireless is above 80, and many times above 90.

Last edited:
And also the similar case over wireless.. the Ookla speedtest shows 30 Mbps download, for example, but when downloading something from playstore, it downloads at a speed of around 60 to 70 Mbps.

Sorry to post reply again, the option to edit my previous post disappeared suddenly.

In below image you can see that 2.62 GB was downloaded in 4mins16sec = 256 sec. 2.62 GB = 2620 MB = 20,960 Mb. Doing the sum, the speed comes out to be 81.9 Mbps which is exactly the opposite of the speed test in Ookla :-

UcDQf9R.jpg

And this one over ethernet :-

dBKwqOP.jpg

tSVEiXw.png

Try changing the DNS again to something else. There are plenty of alternatives. I use Google, Cloudflare, Quad9 and adguard depending on what I prefer at the time of configuring. All four work well for me. You may try others depending on what works best for you. In my opinion, nothing is best. It all depends on the time of the day and how busy the DNS server are. Good luck.

Earlier I am also facing the same issue, but now It's fixed. I have some suggestions, and pls do

I talked with LCO and he told me that, earlier they were used 100Mbps 20KM media converter and now they changed to 1000Mbps 40KM. 100Mbps media converter limit the speed on peak times but now I am always getting above 100Mbps and there is no difference in morning and evening time. So, please cross check that.

Make sure you are using cat 5e or cat 6 lan cable and connected to 1 Gbps port on ONT.

Disable QOS

Use BSNL dns always, and if you want to access blocked websites, use any kind of free or paid VPN temporarily.

Last edited by a moderator:
rFw4T3b.jpg

@Enix It is because Archer C50 is not a gigabit router. The WAN & LAN ports are only 100Mbps. So, the actual throughput will be definitely less than 100Mbps. Another reason could be that the ONT you are using doesn't have gigabit LAN port as well like your router. It is useless to have a wifi router with speeds upto 800Mbps+ on 5ghz if the actual wan input and LAN ports are 100Mbps. This was the exact problem with my Archer AC750 wifi router. The router supports speeds upto 400Mbps+ on 5ghz band but as the WAN & LAN ports negotiates at max 100Mbps, I only used to get max of 45 to 50Mbps on 5ghz band with my 1277 plan. Hence, I upgraded my router to a Gigabit router and now I am getting around 130Mbps up & down - more than the advertised speed of 100Mbps. It's always good to do a little bit of research before buying routers to meet your specific plan requirements.

Last edited: