• Thread starter Thread starter amit_dp
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2
  • Views Views 1,429

amit_dp

Regulars
ISP
Airtel
Hi Guys,I Have one question about torrent speed. I have a BSNL 256 UL connection and use D-Link 502 T Router for accessing the connection. I use Bit Comet to download the torrents. Normally for files with good number of seeders, I get speed between 28-31 kBps (which is near-about my max connection speed). So do i need to configure port forwarding on my router ? Will this fetch me more speed than the current speed?Secondly, I would like to know that is Port Forwarding Safe? Are routers with Ports forwarded more Vulnerable ?

Hi,1. Preferably you cannot get more that speed. A very easy way of guessing the max donwload speed is /8 , which in case of your's comes to 32kBps.Hence the max download speed you may get is 32kBps.So there is no way to tweak the router/modem/browser/os to achieve more speed. Hope that answers ur first query.2. It has never been safe to open ports to applications which you don't have control.But if you have a good firewall+antivirus, you can forward the port as the risk is minimized.A very easy way to find out if there is any spooking going around in ur comp is by running " nestat-n" in cmd panel. Genrally ports which are used by OS processes will be within number 4000 . Mostly 4digit numbers. But if you find anything beyond 20000 ...or else any 5 digit port number, then you better analyse it and check whether port is forwarded by you or someone has hijacked it. google for "port forwarding" for more explanation. But it is better to forward a port rather than putting your system in DMZ, when it comes to torrents.Chow,j a c k 🙂