• Thread starter Thread starter demonicult
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 4,006

demonicult

unspecified
ISP
MTNL
This is a weird problem, I am using MTNL Tri-band from quite a long now and never ever had this problem before. But since the last update by MTNL ( adding new plans and revising the old plans) a weird problem started.
Whenever I turn ON my Torrent Client and try to surf internet, i am not able to surf any page, whereas my download and upload is all fine. Earlier, i was able to surf of course speed was slow because Torrent Client used most of the DL/UL speed.

But now the case is, switch ON the Torrent Client and Surfing and everything gone. Even after shutting off the torrent client i need to either wait for 15-20mins to start surfing or Restart the Router a couple of times to get connected.

Hope someone who understood my problem could help me.

Thanks.
Regards

P.S. -
My plan DSL 849 NU.
I have even Port forwarded for Torrent clients.
Torrent Client - uTorrent/Bit Comet/Azureus
Torrent DL speed ( usually/fluctuating) - 200 - 250kbps
Torrent UL speed ( usually/fluctuating)- 27- 35kbps
Router - D-Link GLB-502T
OS - Windows Vista Ultimate x86

simple... try to limit your upload and download speed to half and then see.....

also change your dns setting to opendns (visit OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster Internet for more info)

I have faced the exact problem you mentioned...This happens only in Vista and Mostly on utorrent latest version.Well, i have switched over to vuze.that has solved the problem.It's an issue with Vista i guess.To check it, download using Linux and see if the problem persists.

lol that not the real problem/solution....MTNL have connection limits as all ISP have that...if all connection filled thwn u wont surf even u get 10 kbps instead of 250kbps...as u can see every time ; while torrenting your maximum connection will be fixed to some limit like say 30 peers...if u put 4 torrents then also total connection limit would be 30 only and u wont get more than that...so try this...while torrenting try to kick some peers who r inactive i.e. try to cut down connected peersu can surf then...

limiting the number of connections in a torrent client is perfectly normal. speeds would drop down but surfing would become bearable.

i dont limit any peers and utorrent runs at full speed, still i am able to browse with full speeds. like i am doing right now. 😀however this wasnt the case on my laptop.

I've never had a problem of not being able to browse even when my torrents were downloading at 200Kbps

If your router supports dd-wrt or better yet. If it supports the tomato firmware, load it up.Tomato has a brilliant QoS support. Also the router is bumped up to 4096 connections. You should also limit the TCP connections to timeout in 300 secondsAlso, patch your system's TCPIP.sys TCP.sys - google for this process.

Exactly my problem. I have just subscribed to 512kbps unlimited plan. And if i start utorrent or even if i start dloading torrents from flashget browsing stops as if internet is put on handbrakes :frown: Pls. give a valid solution.

After patching your system give your torrent client only upto 65% of the available connections. That means if you patch for say 50 connections, give it about 32-35 maximum connections.Personally patching should be upto 100-150 connections. Which is more than sufficient. However, you have to remember that if you are using a router. Similar limitations exist on your router. AND also you need to do traffic management.General routers I think can only do 250 connections total. This includes open, half open, and ones which are still closing.If your router supports dd-wrt, install it, and increase the number of connections and decrease the udp and tcp timeouts. if it supports tomato, get that and do the needful.One thing about tomato, is that it has brilliant QoS. Also suppports TCP Vegas. Please check wikipedia on what each of those do.For single machines, traffic management from within the torrent is ok, if you have multiple devices on a network, you really should have a good router with qos.Also, if you plan to use your machine then you may want to set utorrent's max downloads to 70% of your traffic capability. That means if you have a 512kbit line, you give it on 35K/sec mac speed. This means you still have around 15-20K/sec for your browsing.Once again if you have qos, this will automatically be managed by the router.Please note that the qos on dd-wrt is kind of messed up. However, it has other functionalities and works great for p2p, and has more supported hardware than tomato. Tomato is great if you dont need the rest of the functionality dd-wrt has and if you need qos and such.

i dont understand. I have IOL connection without issue. Only mtnl is having a problem. So putting tcpip patch etc. etc. doesnt solve the problem. BTW vuze also didnt solve my problem.