• Thread starter Thread starter kumar.kirti
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 6,687

kumar.kirti

ISP
BSNL
Hi Guys,

Was just wondering if you might want to share your experiences on the download speeds with torrents.

On an average download speeds at my end are in the range of 30-40 kB (although a bit high once in a while). I am running on MT882, without any tweaks.

Are these speeds good? If not, then I would love to hear any suggestions to get better speeds.

Thanks.
KK

i am pretty sure the best speeds u can get with torrents would be similar to pure HTTP/FTP based downloads from good servers using a decent download manager.unless of course, the file is being downloaded by someone on your local network.

for home 500 - 2mbps.. those speeds suck!make sure ur ports are forwarded, and use u torrent.. preferably the 1.6.1 version..u should be lookin at an average speed of 90 - 140kbps depending on the torrent..

I get pretty much around 90 kbps at nites and my upload speed is a around 30 kbps ( i prefer using Azureus and torrents from link-removed)

Thanks nightwolf. Your suggestions worked wonders. Av. download speed now is 120 kB/s with uTorrent 1.6.1.Krishna, thanks for your comments, I will surely give it a try.

Hi Kirti,you can get both torrent downloader and normal http downloader in one...and above that BitCoemt is fast, good, customizable and free 🙂 .i feel it to be more useful that uTorrent.

Speeds in torrents depending upon the seeders and peers in the torrent. Sometimes I get speed of about 200KB/s and sometimes only 30KBSo it definitely depends upon the seeders and the peers.

i am pretty sure the best speeds u can get with torrents would be similar to pure HTTP/FTP based downloads from good servers using a decent download manager.

unless of course, the file is being downloaded by someone on your local network.

Besides forwarding the port & patching the TCP/IP connection from default 10 to a much higher number(100), the only way the torrent downloads be fast is when there are more seeds than lechers, and also depends the other peoples "upload rate" . If they have good upload speed only then will you be able to download faster.

OLD GUIDE, BUT USEFUL

Note:Some of the settings mentioned below are optimized for 256k connection. If you want to calculate the optimal settings for your connection, check at the end of this tutorial. But I suggest you to read the entire tutorial for guidance on other settings.

First go to Options>Preferences>Network

1.Under ‘Port used for incomming connections‘ enter any port number. It is best to use a port number above 10000. I use 45682.

2.Randomize port each time ?torrent starts: UNCHECKED

leave this unchecked because if u have router. If you do not have a router or a firewall, and want extra security,check this option.

3.Enable UPnP port mapping (Windows Xp or later only): UNCHECKED

leave this unchecked because I have experienced it slowing down speeds. It is not needed if you manually port forward.

4.Add ?torrent to Windows Firewall exceptions (Windows XP SP2 or later only): UNCHECKED (do this only if you have windows firewall disabled)

5.Global Maximum upload rate (kb/s): [0: unlimited]: 22 (for 256k connection)

6.Protocol Encryption: ENABLED

I would recommend everyone to enable this. This can help increase speeds with many ISPs.

7.Allow incoming Legacy Connections: Off
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6897/networknk8.jpg

Options>Preferences>Torrents

1.Global Maximum Number of Connections: 130 (for 256k connection)

This number should not be set too low or the number of connections made to your torrents will be limited. Setting it too high may cause too much bandwidth to be used and can cause slowdowns.
2.Maximum Number of connected peers per torrent: 70 (for 256k connection)

If you see that the peers connected to a specific torrent are exactly this number, or very close, increase this number to improve speeds.
3.Number of upload slots per torrent: 3 (for 256k connection)

This depends on how much you want to upload to other users. Do not set too low or it may affect download speeds.

4.Use additional upload slots if upload speed Preferences>Advanced

If you use Windows XP SP2, patch tcpip.sys with LvlLord’s Event ID 4226 Patcher to get better performance.

net.max_halfopen: 50

DO NOT CHANGE THIS OPTION unless you have Windows XP SP2 and have patched tcpip.sys.

You can also patch tcpip.sys with xp-Antispy

If you have a firewall…

Open up the options/preferences/settings for the firewall - usually your firewall will have an icon to click in the taskbar
Look for the keywords “allow list” or “programs”
Add the application you want to give access to the internet
Make sure to save your settings when you are done

If you have a router…

Go to start>run>type cmd, press enter>type ipconfig, press enter
Remember both your ip address and your default gateway
Type in your default gateway into your default browser, a password prompt may come up. The default username and password are admin for my router
Under ‘Applications’ fill out one line for each p2p client you use
You need to use your ip address, the correct port range and set either tcp or udp
You can find and change the ports in the actual p2p client’s settings, just make sure they are the same in the router
Most p2p apps need both tcp and udp checked, if you are not sure check your p2p client’s FAQ
Save your settings

Check PortForward.com to forward ports for uTorrent.

Well I recently saw that I was getting Speed in Bursts .... with 500 plan.I will get speeds close to 150 KBPS for 10 seconds then it will reduce.... to 0 KBPS .. and remain 0 for some time and then again get bact to 150 KBPS. this behaviour I observed when I downloaded stuff from stage6 using DAP. :OHas any one expericanced same ? I will check out if it happens on other servers too.-pranKster.

Nope. I swear by IDM.FDM in heavy mode too cant fetch at full speed.FDM gives me max of 20 Kbps whole IDM gives me 32 to 36 on my 256 Kbps connection.