To port or not to port for VodafoneIdea customers

To port or not to port - For VodafoneIdea customers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
@amalrakoff i also got something like that, in one part of kochi I got b8 10 mhz , and I thought maybe some bug in the service mode, but it stayed it like that till I moved out of that tower range ,never anywhere I got that type of signal.

It's beginning to pinch.

It's beginning to pinch.
That's the reason you see this Unlimited night data and Double data!!

Also, I see Jio and Airtel running competitive MNP schemes to attract customers offering 2 months Free 1.5 GB/Day.

Last edited:
If my memory serves me right Vodafone used to have these schemes in the past maybe in a different avatar. I think they were called bonus cards then.🤔

I brought two numbers into Vi with plans to port out again after 3 months. Nothing wrong with my current provider, I converted postpaid into prepaid online and the bungled up my address. No way to rectify that than porting out and coming back. Funny.

Now, for the first recharge, I decided to go with 297. On that, Vi Store is charging an additional 243 for a service I couldn’t hear properly. It is one-time. Is this practice occurring over India?

There is a first recharge that tends to be costlier than online recharge that needs to be done at the store. Not sure if we get any additional service as such.

The FRC of choice, 297 is listed on the website as well. What they aren’t saying is the extra one-time charge of ₹ 243 towards some service I couldn’t hear properly on account of some people exchanging words loudly. I was wondering if this is a practice only prevalent in GJ circle or all circles.

I got more information from their team after emailing them. Vi Store has activated Vodafone Cloud Shield at an expense of Rs 243. This service is hidden behind a credential-locked page on their website, and information gleaned from news media tells me this is supposed to be Rs 99 a month or 999 annual. I asked them to give me receipts if this service is activated, since there is no way for me to access this service or even see if this is activated, anywhere, including the Vi app!

Received a call today, from the same person who is handling this. I am told to visit the nearest Vi Store so they can register my email address in the portal (after which I will be able to use the Vodafone Super Shield (yesterday they said Cloud Shield) and only the Store will be able to provide me full details. These things cannot be done from home. What about payment receipts? Please visit the Store, they will register the email address and all communication can be done there.

Amazing. Vodafone used to be easy to work with. Why will I risk myself and the people at the Store for Rs 486, considering I know they are not going to return this money to me and this is just an antivirus suite I do not need? Oh well. This is how they are bolstering their revenue from first-time prepaid customers. This does not happen if you are taking a postpaid connection.

I get nice full bars of Vi signal, but the data speed is not as good. Furthermore, I find that people are randomly (and often) unable to hear me. I had to port out of Airtel because of an address issue, so after my 90 days I will port back to Airtel or Jio. I thought Vodafone might not be that bad, but I am ready to give up on this network.

In today's time, they are not providing enough services online.

1. I cannot update my GST online, like I can in Airtel and Jio
2. I cannot convert prepaid to postpaid and postpaid to prepaid like I can in Airtel, I can't recall about Jio
3. For almost every service you require from them save for recharging the account, they are more than delighted to direct you to a Store. They don't care about pandemic that way, happy to risk customers and their own employees.
4. Even with adequate signal and 2 CA (1800+2100) with RSSI -65, RSRP -96, RSRQ -8, SNR is 7.4 dB and I am not getting good data speeds. So, network is of little use to me.

I will port out, and for the relevance of the thread, I cannot recommend Vi unless you are prepared to stroll or drive down to the Store for things that other networks will gladly help you with over the phone or in their app itself. It seems that Vi has taken its pug to heart, this network is better for pet owners, they can take a stroll to the Vi Store at 5:30 PM and get their issues sorted while also walking their pets.

Last edited:

All articles are behind paywall. But headline suggests all is not well at VI...

Same here, ported out my 10 year old Idea connection to Airtel postpaid in March.
Airtel is at least giving satisfactory speed (max 25 Mbps sometimes) while Idea 4G (even after becoming VI) never gave good speeds at home.