Reliance Jio Fiber Backup Broadband Plan (10mbps at Rs. 198 per month)

• Thread starter Thread starter CHOPSHOT
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 81
  • Views Views 22,189
I personally think it's an amazing move and an even greater one if you consider that you can add the entertainment bundle even to this backup plan. Needless to say, it has the potential to be some people's primary connection as well. Your thoughts?

Other than tech enthusiast, no one is buying two internet in home and tech enthusiast do not buy Jiofiber since it is so restrictive.
I have two internet which is completely paid by my office and even for that my mom throws me shade.
For approx 298 pm. wonder what plans will they provide; probably would be like 100Mbps 100 GB like early times or 16Mbps unlimited.

i have a back up connection, but it can't be capped like this to 10mbps...
I use one airtel @ 1 Gbps and a local connection with 30mbps with no cap ... was interested in getting excitel for backup, but that's a story for another thread ...

@Lolita_Magnum I did write the potential to be main connection for many as well besides for the detail i don't think you read the link in full or you can even look at @eatpepsi 's post for easy understanding.

While i do agree that having a backup internet connection is a very niche category to focus but i think as a primary it has a lot of potential for low income household or for small business owners who just want a basic internet connection at their office or shop even for those who don't get paid for internet connection from their office (of which there are many) and while in big cities local ISPs may have better or comparable offering but not many tier 2 or tier 3 cities/towns or villages have local ISPs and i believe that 10 Mbps is sufficient for the cost of 198+Gst with unlimited and and considering how most DTH operators have a minimum channel pack cost of 150 and that too only free to air channel the basic plan with entertainment bundle makes a very enticing option of a primary connection for many.

While a lesser lock-in period than 5 months may be would have been better to focus on low income households or businesses but it is what it is.

The two iffy points for me is if they'll charge anything as security deposit and if yes then how much will it be and if there are any other hidden costs like STB cost.

Btw all in all, I think Jio promoting it as a backup plan is just a marketing ploy to get an additional revenue stream as backup connection but because it makes more sense and might even bring more customers for first time broadband users who till now did not have any super affordable offering.

Call me lucky but i never felt the need for a backup broadband connection. I have stayed in cities like bangalore and pune and all ISPs i used have worked pretty stable and reliable for me. ACT fibernet and hathway fiber broadband both worked pretty well when i was in blr. TPF is rock solid here in pune.
@CHOPSHOT i agree with you its just a marketing thing what jio is doing for additional revenue stream from tier 3 cities/low income households/people who don't need a lot of bandwidth. Basically taking over the local ISP business who charges hefty for security deposit/long term plans. Jio on the other hand has very affordable "backup" plan. All in all a very smart move.
It would be interesting to see what airtel does in this regard to be in the rat race.

This looks very interesting. It's at a decent price too. I currently use LTE for backup internet, primary being BSNL. Even for the LTE backup I've to pay close to Rs 150 per month.

Anyway Jio Fiber is not available at this location, so it won't really benefit me much.

time to say goodbye to tataplay dth. will opt for this jio backup plan and it will cost me 398rs which will include all live channels and backup speed of 10 mbps incase there is fiber cut in my primary connection or it went down.

tataplay cost: 500rs DTH pack + 349rs OTT binge pack = 849 total cost
jio backup: 398rs (including 10 mbps speed as well as live channels + OTT apps)

total saving : 451 rs

@Lolita_Magnum It says 30th March in the article so my guess is it will show up on 30th.

Also going by how Jio is promoting it as a "Back-up connection", i am almost 99.99% sure that this won't show up for existing customers to migrate to, it will be only for new customers.

Last edited:
What will happen when 5 months get over? Will they migrate backup plan to regular plan or we will have an option to continue with it ?

@Rickysin Given how it is presented as a back-up plan (which is something permanent in nature) and not as a promotional offering, my best guess is it should continue either as a monthly recharge offering (because they do display rates on a per month basis in the news article) or as 5 month package like now would be my second less probable guess.