MTNL Delhi Thinking of shifting to another ISP

ISP
MTNL
I'm currently using the MTNL unlimited 2Mbps plan, which costs around 2000. It was wonderful when I got it, but times are progressing, and unfortunately, MTNL's speeds aren't. They can't provide more than 2 Mbps, since I originally got their 4 Mbps plan and for am entire month I only got 2 Mbps. So, now I'm considering changing ISPs, unless they add the FTTH, which doesn't look like what fiber speeds should look like, but it's still an upgrade. However, that's unlikely, since I don't know when they will do it, and if they choose the places randomly for fiber. So, I'm looking for suggestions. No airtel. I'd rather have a dialup connection than use airtel broadband. DEN boomband? Something else? I don't know much of them in my area (Pitampura, Delhi), so help will be appreciated. Speed should preferably be more than 10Mbps, with unlimited data download. When I say unlimited, I mean no data limit. If the speed drops after a certain cap, it's not unlimited. Even if the speed drops, preferably it should atleast be more than 2Mbps.

Thank you.
Tushar.

Last edited:
spectranet and few others if available may give huge quota, check what options you have in your area,
once you post ISP name, I am sure of the customers would be here to tell you how is their experience as a customer.

@ghpk
My ISP is MTNL, since I posted this in the MTNL forums. Or I may have misinterpreted your question, in that case, would you kindly explain?
Anyway, my school (DPS RKP) uses spectranet and when I found about their speeds, I checked them myself. However, no avail, since they offer to a small area (relative to the size of Delhi), and that too only in South Delhi, whereas I live in North.

@behemoth
I never had to wonder that. Since I'm using the unlimited plan of mtnl. Some says my laptop is always on, downloading something or other in sizes of 30 to 50 GB (download speed gives me roughly 1 GB per hour). Other days it's just surfing the Internet, so, like, less than a GB? That's why I asked for unlimited, or atleast if after it ends, a high enough speed which is then unlimited to use.

Why the hatred towards Airtel? They are the most reliable ISP and you could use their high data plans @16Mbps.

Because if I wanted to be robbed blind, I would go get myself mugged somewhere, because atleast the thief would need the money. Airtel is way too expensive, hidden costs constantly rising prices. And the "high speed low download cap and then snail level speeds" would really be a kick in the nuts if I ever used it. Most people I talk to, who aren't kids who don't know about the bill paying side of the interest, recommend against airtel.
Anyway, I have no intention of justifying my hate towards airtel anymore, so, if you like airtel, good for you, but I have no desire for it.

Airtel is expensive without a doubt. But they recently launched new plans with higher FUP at lower costs. Check the Airtel subforum for these new plans.

Also install Glasswire and find out your actual usage for a month coz that would help you choose another ISP much better. Getting an unmetered conncetion at good speeds would be difficult in Delhi.

Checked them all. The speed after the cap is way too low. I download hundreds of GB no doubt. I wouldn't be surprised if I passed 200 GB easily. So, looking at the plans, here's what I saw. I have 3 options, high data cap, high speed, and reasonable price. In all the plans, you can only choose 2 of them. As I said, I have no intention of ever using airtel. EVER. So, its kindly requested that anyone else who replies, doesn't reply "why not airtel". I clearly stated I have no desire to use airtel, and I stand by it.
And yes, I have installed glasswire, but was hoping to have a new connection by April.

Good luck on your ISP hunt and do let us know what you choose at the end. And never ever choose Tikona.

Yeah, lol. I never had any intention to. I just couldn't think of any ISPs other than the basic ones. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of "one of our towers are down at this moment"

Not just that, you also wouldn't like to hear this 2 years after you pay all bills due and disconnect your connection - "This is XYZ lawyer calling from ABC court in Delhi and Tikona has filed a case against you for 10000 INR for not paying your bills. Pay 6000 INR now for out of court settlement or come to court for your hearing on Monday."

Tikona is just a huge *******.

check with local residents, which ISP they are surviving on ?

what I meant, do you have list of Available options in your locality.

what you said about downloading doesn't helps in guessing what kind of bandwidth you are consuming in a month
if its something under 60GB a month I am sure North Delhi may have some ISP for you, but when its gonna be Huge download
there's always issues.

for me I am on Airtel 60GB plan and it suits me well, with a free landline my home mobile bills are now Rs.500-600 lesser so paying around Rs.1600 doesn't bite me much as family uses Airtel phone now and balances the expenses. speed is good and haven't experienced any noticeable outage in last 6 months.

Lastly you won't believe I recently moved from a "c class" city because ISP was one of the reason, I was hating myself when I had
to fight with my broadband wala on daily outages that too for a 512kbps connection.

Most of the people in my society use mtnl. Some use airtel. I also get advertisements from tikona and den boomband, but that's all. All the good Internet companies prefer to stick to South Delhi, because that's where the rich people and embassies are. I asked around, and If I can get 10 signatures in my society, they'll lay down the wire for the mtnl FTTH. But honestly, I'm socially awkward, so that's not happening easily.

My usage is way over 60 GB. Somewhere in the 150 GB region if u had to take a calculated guess. I've added glasswire as a recommendation anyway.

Also, I can't move. I'm 16. Studying for law, so hopefully, I'll move to bangalore in a year and a half, and the Internet there is amazing from what I've heard.

@Tushar Singh You can try den boomband plans, they have 1 mbps speed after fup. Rest Internet is not good enough in Delhi, we have very limited choices available depending on our area. Pitampura and Rohini too have not much choices in terms of ISP's. I too feel sad by seeing the condition of internet in the Capital city of our country nevertheless things are improving and I am hopeful in coming years we have some good ISP's here.

Last edited: