Thinking of deploying FTTH network in a village.

• Thread starter Thread starter NikhilS
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 254
  • Views Views 33,949
Re-distribution 60-40%

@Nikhil Sharma Here is the video of the man who actually launched the ISP (for the name sake) but it's actually a problem solving thing he did for himself and family and for his village/society.

You can learn few things from here which might help you to give good idea about how to achieve it. (Learning from Experience).

Man is from US (strange, I know) but US does has such issues LUL

Video Link:

When I was at my peak anger of having poor internet in my area and Excitel was pissing me off badly, I was myself thinking of deploying my own fiber connection and then I did some search and found this video. For me the biggest hurdle was leased line which is not possible to deploy and I don't want to invest that much money. (Because any how JioFiber would come I knew)

Another Idea, If your area doesn't have a lot of rain. You can replicate what Excitel does.

Buy a 2-3 x 5 Port Gigabit Switch. (TP-Link) and use CAT-6 Cable of D-Link (Strong). (Excitel uses cheap alternatives, I am telling you quality)

This can handle 1 Gbps of network (not per connection but overall) so you can offer 100 Mbps to each of them.

It will be much cheaper to deploy.

Your major problem is Fiber deployment.

Here in Delhi, people with Crores of money can't deploy Fiber easily (Airtel nahi ker paayi, Jio nahi ker payi, Hum kya cheez hai)

You just need one line of 1Gbps to fulfill the need of 10 Household.

Last edited by a moderator:
1gbps for 10 households with 100mbps each? It probably means under utilization of bandwidth which is a rare commodity if anyone asks me.

Let's think like an ISP. Every ISP knows that no one would use the internet 24x7. Even so, no one needs 100mbps bandwidth all the time. So, 50 households * 100mbps = 1gbps line. For ISPs like Jio, the math is like 500 households * 100mbps = 1gbps.

1gbps for 10 households with 100mbps each? It probably means under utilization of bandwidth which is a rare commodity if anyone asks me.

Let's think like an ISP. Every ISP knows that no one would use the internet 24x7. Even so, no one needs 100mbps bandwidth all the time. So, 50 households * 100mbps = 1gbps line. For ISPs like Jio, the math is like 500 households * 100mbps = 1gbps.
Yes you're right as usual.
The other day, i was asking you guys about taking a connection from an LCO.
I spoke to him in length yesterday,he was like having 300-400 connections and has leased a gigabit port from airtel.
He said he's facing a delay to give new connections because of the bandwidth constraints and he was complaining about the upstream bandwidth is not reliable ( getting 800mbps on gigabit port).
Airtel is not providing additional bandwidth for him.
He is serving customers like Tata Steel at my locality and he will be starting to provision gigabit connections after he gets the required bandwidth from airtel.
But even with problems he says that he has never seen is connection peaking to provisioned capacity but has to keep headroom in order to keep the network stable.

@vignesh_venkatesan thing for @Nikhil Sharma is different. It's not possible in Delhi but it's possible in Village or in any remote area of Delhi as well.

10-20 Customer mil jaye to koi bhi area ka LCO ho, 1 complaint and his whole internet connectivity will be forced fully removed. (Complaint to NDPL and all those authorities). Like RWA can do. Fir kitna bhi bada Don ho LCO. 🤣

My Excitel LCO was becoming "Shanna". Just recently Airtel has strict their quality and JioFiber came. Line per aa rkha hai wo ab. Jubaan nahi chal rhi ab uski. Logo ne connect chodna chalu krrdiya uska.

And what I have heard from Excitel's Engineer of our area is that Excitel has taken strict action against him because of poor services.

Nikhil can easily replicate it and it's viable for him to go with Ethernet as it's cheaper. I mean Fiber needs better quality of infra and that is expensive too.

But I am not the one to decide, I can only advice or give ideas.

I agree with @pothi. Think like ISP.

I too have an idea like @Nikhil Sharma to do it in my dad's native village but unfortunately there are no vendors like bsnl or BBNL to buy bandwidth.
I heard from @pothi that TN government is doing something about it, but let's see what happens.
Even there is something in the works,it will take a quite a while.
Nobody has a fiber footprint there,telcos are using microwave backhaul there and are not ready to provide bandwidth.

I think @pothi IP sharing can be done as well? Since, I don't think the Public IP Excitel gives me is unique to me. It is being used by other few customers as well (very limited).

10 IP will cost around 5-10K easily for @Nikhil Sharma to give to each customer.

P.S.: I seriously don't know the legality of IP Sharing though.

@vignesh_venkatesan If something can be as cheap as 500. Why invest 1500 or 2000 upon it and that is also when only 10 households are going to use it. Moreover, technology changes daily and there is no clear proof if BSNL is going to live for next 2 years or not. (Govt. changes policies and decision a lot).

Going with cheaper and stable option will be the best approach.

Someday if @Nikhil Sharma gets lucky and JioFiber or any other company comes (you cannot deny future), his whole setup will be waste and he won't recover the money if he's the one who is investing and others will pay them on EMI or rent.

Think wisely.

If it was about 100-200 households, I will go with quality.

If i get an opportunity ike nikhil, i can do it without a single paise from my pocket.
Because the situation is so bad, if i offer them to give internet connection they'll be ready to invest money to make it happen.
9/10 homes it will be the case but we couldn't make it happen due to lot of constraints on the bandwidth part being either unavailable or being too expensive.