Thinking of deploying FTTH network in a village.

• Thread starter Thread starter NikhilS
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 254
  • Views Views 33,989
Using this service from few weeks. It took me months of discussion with BSNL officials to get this thing started. Ubiquiti Rocket Prism 5AC Gen2 & Airmax Sector antennas are installed on the tower at 58 meters height. Those are powered by Mikrotik Cloud Core Routers. At customer premises, Ubiquiti Litebeam 5AC Gen2 (LBE 5AC Gen2) is being used. LBE 5AC Gen2 is connected to regular Wi-Fi router through LAN cable. I have not tried the voice calling option yet. Using the Rs.777+ 50mb/s 600GB plan and speeds have been fairly stable and reliable. There are many people using 100mb/s plans & there is a waiting list of around 500 connections. Giving 100mb/s speed in the dense forest area of Western Ghats is a commendable achievement.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-10-21 at 7.21.12 AM.webp
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-21 at 7.21.12 AM.webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 264
How is the latency?

Rs.7000 for the CPE + Rs.20 per meter LAN cable + Rs.1250 for Surge Protector (optional) + Rs.2000 installation charges. The CPE has been installed on the old landline pole we had in our farm. Wi-Fi router I already had. Rs.500 security deposit to BSNL. Around 12k in total.

Location is somewhere between Mangalore & Madikeri in Karnataka.

HiWagtd.jpg

wovQFwr.jpg

This is how the terrain looks like.

My farm CPE is pointed towards some trees. The tower is not visible to naked eyes. Distance from the tower is around 600 meters via air. But there are connections which are 3-4kms from the tower and they work fine.

Wow great thread.
I was actually planning to start a Restaurant franchise but backed off due to Covid.
I live in a big city about 6-7 lakh population. We have only 1 private ISP(DVR) it has monopoly over BSNL. Airtel now started it's services. DVR is partnership with Pioneer E-labs.

But I want to become ISP in my HomeTown with population of 10000. Except BSNL there's no ISP. I have about 20 lakhs to start anything. Seems it's much hassle to become ISP.
I want to take bandwidth from BBNL or Pioneer or even Airtel and want serve wireless with Ubiquiti equipment. I don't know much about networking nor have degree in CSE. but most of the LCO's are uneducated and they learn quickly right. If they can why can't I? and Mostly I want to serve min 20 Mbps speeds upto 100Mbps.

I am really considering this as my future. What are my options?
DM me or ISP Consultants India: Become an Internet Service Provider (ISP or WISP)

Excellent thread. Very happy to see people implemented their idea and made it work.

Although I do not understand much about the things being discussed but this thread is the primary reason why I have signed up/ reactivated my account.

I am at present in a remote village and been discussing with local ISPs and BSNL to help me get good/ high speed (don't mind higher but at least 30 Mbps) connection at my place.

I have tried BSNL office whose providing FTTH at my office.. (<10 km away from my place).. they have been assuring me from time to time but it isn't going anywhere cause it's been more than one year lol..

I also inquired about Airfiber but had no luck.

The private ISP are intrested but are skeptical about getting enough customers!

I discussed the idea of deploying mimosa c5x to one of the private ISP at my expense he'd install mimosa c5x but we ran into an issue when we came to know that he has some issues with airtel engineer... for some reason airtel cellular tower is recommended by him however he has issue with that engineer so the receiver part of mimosa can't be installed there...topography is as such that good hight is required for installation of mimosa.... F

I m sharing this here as it's evident that this place has many experts on the subject and so i seek your all help in solving this maze if there is any way..

I would really appreciate the help guys if you can..

Do you have an estimate of the subscribers you are going to get if you start that ?

A wooden or Iron pole can be erected if you are sure about the consumers .

A written letter can be taken from potential customers wanting a broadband connection so that a private ISP can have some assurance .