they say its a browsing pack?

• Thread starter Thread starter ajay
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8
  • Views Views 2,436

ajay

hi i am new to this forum & i am also cheated by sify i have 96kbps unltd pack when i asked them about speed capping they said the pack is for unlimited browsing & not for unlimited downloading i was filled with anger when he told me that. sify s*cksssssssssssssssssssss :angry:

This is normally known as packet shaping though all they do is cap the speed of the connection for any traffic which is not running through on port 80. What you know what you are doing is set all your traffic to go through port 80 or 8080 and as such your speed should not be effected. This is correct as long as the ISP has set this up correctly though i dont think this will be the case what they will do is simply state u cannot use more than X amount of data transfer in one day and then cap your speed.....I hope this helps..Chino

All web traffic to websites run through two ports 80 and 8080...If Sify have setup packet shaping they can slow down the speed of a file download if you are not using these ports and because most file downloads are done on P2P appliactions such as e-mule do not use these normal ports..Most of these appliactions allow you to change the port number and if you change the port number to 80 or 8080 then you should be able to byp@$$ this packet shaping. This is only correctly if they have set this correctly (and as my connection is not yet installed i could not test this). If they have done the easyest option then all they would have done is set a limit such as 10mb and once you reach this limit the speed will be capped....I hope this helps.Chino

thnx for the advice i want to use bearshare and shareaza could u please tell me how i can change the port numbers for these

what i mean to say that the cc guy said that you can browse or download upto 100mb after that the speed will go down. then i asked him what is the meaning of unltd he said unltd means unltd browsing & not downloading he thinks i am a fool they always have this type of answers ready :angry:

@chino - Sify does not restrict speeds of ports other than http ports, what they do is simply cut the speed to 16-14kbps after a data transfer of 100-150MB.

:lol: unlimited browsing :lol: Thats what the told me. I told him even a 10 mb per month pack will offer unlimited browsing if i download less than 10 MB in that month. Damn liers!!!

Cheers ujjwal, i did not know this, i though it would be this way though i like to work around little issues... though 100mb per day is not too badChino