The Ridiculous Airtel Broadband Plans

uberjon said:
Oh yeah!. You ARE getting ripped off. What's your speed?
2 mbps, looks like i am on a bubble burst, because it says 2.0 mbps but it shoots upto 2.75 mbps. snr is good, service is good and prompt, since 2005 just 20-25 downtime and sla was quick 3-4 hours just once 1 day delay. am i doing good?
-paul
p.s. it says 100 GB but i did overshoot 2 times thanks to great p0rn leecher friends i got. i was not capped off with bandwidth and also may be because it happened once on 20 th and 21 st and billing cycle starts on 26 th everymonth.

The current plans offer a higher data limit at faster speeds...

Did you ask Airtel if your line supports 16mbps?
Funny story - Someone I know called Airtel CC & asked if he could get 16mbps.
He was told that he couldn't get it as his line couldn't 'withstand' 16mbps & it would BURST! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

iChaitanya said:
What's your post-FUP speed? 512 Kbps?
256 kbps.
Airtel will never give more than that unless one is on a higher end plan.

^ I was expecting 512 Kbps. 🙁
I could have demanded that plan. I need at least 512 Kbps. Why is it SO hard to get a stable 512 Kbps connection for a reasonable price? Fuck this shit.

uberjon said:
Did you ask Airtel if your line supports 16mbps?
Funny story - Someone I know called Airtel CC & asked if he could get 16mbps.
He was told that couldn't get it as his line couldn't 'withstand' 16mbps & it would BURST! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
are they somewhat associated with al-quida (hope i got the spelling right). man i dont want accidents, building is old and shoddy president. if my building president hears this he will disconnect my existing connection.
jokes apart. what kind of moron support staff is that? did S/He mix up internet pipe with metrowater, sewage pipeline or storm drain? a dsl fr engineer comes to my house on a daily basis. from his knowledge i can understand whats what, plus i know the tier2-3-4-5 support engineers, i choose not to use the F-Word but they are awesome, i mean really "AWWWWWWWWWEEEEE"some.
they asked [*me to click on start and type "cmd" and type "ping 192.168.1.1*] i failed miserably because i told the tier-5 engineer that i am using netbsd and i am already in console, 2 minutes before and he shook his head and with great (over) confidence said "start -> cmd -> ping 192.168.1.1" i told them to make me speak with the NOC. and the NOC admin started to giggle when i narrated the entire story.
bottomline. i may end up with 1 strip of asprin or you might too. well, 99% its a nice sexy female voice, you can have a value for money. i mean they are really NICE! female airtel customer care rep. i vouch for them.
-paul
p.s. i was at my friends place and he had BSNL back then, and when i asked for DNS they said its classified information, when i asked if they know whats a DNS he said as usual a gibberish one and i had to pause him with this "YOU FRIGGIN IDIOT, DNS STANDS FOR DUMB NARROW-MINDED SWINE." hearing this my friends were rolling on the floor giggling their butt out and within 10 seconds i was speaking with the NOC admin of BSNL, after i explained in detail the t3 support. its not just service its techsupport which is even more miserable.

uberjon said:
In this case, the CC exec was a 'she'. Anyway, 16mbps *IS* available in certain parts of Chennai.
when its a start -> cmd -> ping 192.168.1.1. no benifit of doubt i get.
but if its a he? his bad days starts. :-D most likely he gets BBQed! i will ask the rep again. Hope its a she "value for money! what i am paying for!" and with a nice sweet voice i get to know more about the plans, not her plans, airtel broadban plans.
hope all is well.
-paul

So after speaking with executive , for 512kb fup limits they ask me to upgarde to 8mbps plan. I asked for 8mbps plan initially and they said that i dont have feasibility and i again called and argued that i just need 512kbps fup limit instead of 256kbps or even more if possible. And they said sorry we cant do as we can't provide 8mbps feasibility. And then i said i dont even need 8mbps full speed but i am ready to pay the fees of 8mbpls plan so that i can get 512kbps speed.
They said that ok , we can do this for you. We will confirm you in next three days. And then i download a movie in my new first month billing cycle and i see download speeds are 1.3mbps and i think something problem with airtel and then checked my speed it is 9mbps , I just thinking that why they say there is no feasibility in my area , where i can get 9mbps speed now.

^coz according to their estimate, airtel doesn't have enough capacity in your area. Luckiky, you seem to be getting good speeds 😀 However, if they were to allow 8 mbps reguraly, a larger no. Of users would opt for it and then your speeds will reduce.

I have gone thru the posts with great interest. I have taken the 16Mbps plan from airtel in NOIDA. My distance from DSLAM is 300 metres. However, I effectively get 13-14 Mbps, as it is on copper. My modem status is as below and also my speed test result. For a week I had been getting frequent drop outs ( once every 10 mins) in connectivity. For the first time today, my connection has been stable. Can any one look at the DS Margin and comment whether it is at the right level. It was around the 6-9 level earlier during the drop out phase.
By the way my fup is 512kbps, but guess airtel is not able to throttle properly and I still get the same speed even after quota.
https://www.speedtest.net/result/2726094011.png

Modem Status Connection Status Connected Ds Rate (Kbps) 16380 Us Rate (Kbps) 1021 DS Margin 17 US Margin 8 DS Line Attenuation 5 US Line Attenuation 5 Trained Modulation ADSL_2plus LOS Errors 0 Peak Cell Rate 2408 cells per sec CRC Rx Fast 0 CRC Tx Fast 0 CRC Rx Interleaved 0 CRC Tx Interleaved 0 Path Mode Interleaved

Cheers...