The Offtopic Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter vikikivi
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12,184
  • Views Views 1,299,335
A few friends are. What's up?

XKcGFwJ.png

Guys need advice:

Background: We recently booked (early December) a Mahindra car, car arrived at dealer yard and we did PDI yesterday after verifying VIN (DEC 2020 make).
PDI was good and we gave green flag to dealer. We choose to register car next year (Jan 2021) as dealer suggested me since resale will be better for 2021 registered car.

Now the problem is that dealer given insurance is 44K from which he agreed to give 4K discount and finalise 40K for 1 year own + 3 year third party.
But for same policy (All features same) from same insurance company here it is HDFC Ergo when I buy from outside I get it for 32K which is 8K difference.
And dealer in-directly sounded like if you buy insurance from outside then you may not get cash less, or your claims won't be settled seamlessly.
So they are pressuring as to buy policy from them. Also they suggested us to buy Mahindra RSA even if insurance also provide RSA from their side.

What should I do; pay 8K extra, Mahindra RSA (3K for 4 years) and get policy from dealer or buy from outside and save 12K?

1. Check if the dealer service center is listed as a cashless garage for HDFC Ergo. If yes they cannot deny cash less.
2. Even if cash less is not available, if you have a credit card with the required limit, you could always pay using your card and get the amount re-imbursed from the insurance company. Probably would take a 7-10 days max well within the interest free credit period.

Personally, I've always got insurance from outside unless the dealer matched the outside rate.

@devangpatel You're being misled by the dealer about the insurance. You can get cashless claims, zero dep, RSA etc with any other insurance company. You just need to make sure they've tie ups with garages and offer cashless claims. Even if they don't, you can always use credit cards. It's really not a big deal.

You are also being mislead that if you get your vehicle registered in January you will get better value. Manufacturing year is considered for everything. Even on your RC manufacturing year will be mentioned. So when you talk about resale or govt regulations, only manufacturing year is considered.

@mikrotik is absolutely right. Though it won't make a difference on the resale value if you're going to keep the car for 7 years or more.