The Official UPS Recommendation Thread

ISP
you telecom
i need an inverter for my system .When i used Su-kam 800VA sine wave inv. directly in UPS mode my system turned off automatically-power went away unexplainingly..obviously it could not function in UPS mode as claimed by the company..I nd 2 work on my pc evday & so i need an inverter just for my PC.Plz suggest which brand inverter will be the most reliable .I hv one 800VA UPS by Microtek that works fine but only 15 mins ...Plz tell me if i need to place one UPS in b/w my PC and inverter even though it's(inverter) really a UPS .I can afford an 800VA Inverter/UPS only...PLZ HLP FAST ...Its URGENT:wall:

if you are using a desktop... 45 minutes is a very good backup.

my experience with APC has been terrible. it hardly worked with power fluctuations. my previous microtek was much better.

I had the assumption till now that APC makes good UPS :S. In fact I was even thinking of buying one.

So which UPS do you recommend for protection against voltage fluctuations primarily?

I use Microtek 800VA UPS cum Inverter and it's working perfectly...I get around 8-10 hours of backup and that's too on 19" CRT monitor...

how much does it cost?

i have a 5 yr old rig along with a wipro emerge 500 ups. it used to give 15 minutes backup. but now lasts just 5 minutes. i need to use pc a lot during 8-10 hours daily cuts. any other suggestions are welcome.

edit: the pc has 2 hdd's and 17 inch crt

I am also looking for a reliable UPS with good back up time in the price range of Rs 1500 to Rs 2500. I have an LG LCD/LED Flatron E2040T 20 inch monitor for a Core2Duo CPU. My PC is always on for uploading and downloading purpose. I have set my monitor to go to sleep after 20 minutes.Someone kindly guide. Thanks.

Any suggestions? Anyone? My Luminous Duo 600 VA UPS has gone bad within 1.5 years. And we are having frequent power cuts in Delhi again this summer. The Luminous UPS I have now was making noises just 2-3 months inspite of the dealer tellling me it will be durable enough to last for around 3 years.:distress:

my experience with APC Back-UPS RS 1000VA has been pretty good. But things are not working out well with their more expensive model that has cost me so much money but still gives me 2-3 hours of backup.

Any suggestions? Anyone? My Luminous Duo 600 VA UPS has gone bad within 1.5 years. And we are having frequent power cuts in Delhi again this summer.

The Luminous UPS I have now was making noises just 2-3 months inspite of the dealer tellling me it will be durable enough to last for around 3 years.:distress:
APC..APC...APC..i cant think of anything else. 6 years with APC UPS. Right now having 3rd UPS from APC. It lasts for 2.5 yrs.

APC..APC...APC..i cant think of anything else. 6 years with APC UPS. Right now having 3rd UPS from APC. It lasts for 2.5 yrs.

Yes, I also used to think like that as I had bought an APC UPS before this one. But that too became useless after 1 year of use. And the price of APC Back-UPS RS 1000VA suggested by chromaniac which I checked online is around 8k. But my budget is not more than 1.5k to 3k. And I feel I will not go for Luminous UPS again based on the present experience.

Also, my problem is that my PC is on 24/7 for downloading/uploading. That is what is essential for me without interruption. And I will be satisfied with a backup of about 30 minutes with an UPS which lasts long and has a longer warranty so if and when power outage occurs I can at least put my PC into hibernate mode and turn off the power. When power comes back, I can put on the UPS and bring back my PC from hibernation. So, kindly take this into consideration and guide me accordingly. Thanks again.

here is what i am going to suggest. if you are downloading/uploading using torrents, get a router that has an internal torrent client and use it for 24x7 data transfer. much more efficient.

Yes, I also used to think like that as I had bought an APC UPS before this one. But that too became useless after 1 year of use. And the price of APC Back-UPS RS 1000VA suggested by chromaniac which I checked online is around 8k. But my budget is not more than 1.5k to 3k. And I feel I will not go for Luminous UPS again based on the present experience.

Also, my problem is that my PC is on 24/7 for downloading/uploading. That is what is essential for me without interruption. And I will be satisfied with a backup of about 30 minutes with an UPS which lasts long and has a longer warranty so if and when power outage occurs I can at least put my PC into hibernate mode and turn off the power. When power comes back, I can put on the UPS and bring back my PC from hibernation. So, kindly take this into consideration and guide me accordingly. Thanks again.
With ur budget u can get 20 mins backup only.

I have APC 650 va which cost me Rs.3300. With Dual core cpu and 20" monitor it gives only 20 mins backup.