The New DTH Regulations

• Thread starter Thread starter kickass
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 220
  • Views Views 26,841
  • Tags Tags
    trai
@Sushubh Everything is on per month basis, nothing is on daily basis.

Edit: At least on Airtel.

Trai: 100 pay or free TV channels for Rs 153/month | India Business News - Times of India

In a bonanza for TV viewers, whether cable or direct to home (DTH), the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) has issued an order whereby consumers can view 100 pay or free channels by paying just Rs 153.40 per month (including GST). According to a Trai press communique, consumers should choose these 100 channels before January 31 as the new system will start from February 1.
As per Trai, the base pack does not include high definition (HD) channels. However, some media agencies have reported that HD channels can also be chosen and one HD channel will be equivalent to two non-HD channels. Consumers should enquire with their service provider.

Source

even trai's language is unclear.

Consumer has complete freedom to choose their desired 100 Standard
Definition (SD) channels within the network capacity fee of maximum
Rs.130 I-. The desired channels could be in A-Ia-carte Free to Air channels
or Pay channels or bouquet of pay channels or any combination thereof. The
choice completely rests with the consumers.

do i need to pay for the ala carte paid channel i pick in this 100 package.

@Sushubh Yes, you have to pay for ala carte paid channels.

Think of this as 100 slots instead of channels. You are paying Rs. 153 for 100 slots. Now either you can fill these slots with paid channels or free channels. That's up to you. If you add paid channels then your rent will increase if you fill it with Free to Air (FTA) channels then the rent stays at Rs. 153

Out of these 100 clots, 25 slots are filled with mandatory Doordarshan Free to Air package, so in reality, you are getting only 75 slots.

IMO the fee for 100 slots should be reduced by atleast 50% because this is adding to the cost

@Sushubh The idea is great, but the implementation is the worst I have ever seen. The initial fee of Rs 153 is driving up the cost so much that it is making DTH unaffordable.

yup. d2h i believe is taking orders on phone right now. and from what i heard, there is another court hearing coming tomorrow regarding this new implementation so rules might get changed even further.

@Sushubh Why was Ultra news banned? I have been following their news articles for this whole DTH saga. They have been the first to repost everything that too accurately. I never knew about Ultra news before this.

Anybody know how multi-TV option is going to work with the new TRAI regulations? I fear this is going to end up costing much more than what I'm paying right now. Tata Sky isn't of much help.

@Fiber_Optic Lol don't even consider for multi-TV connection. Get a fire stick for your second TV, sideload Jio TV app and live in peace. DTH is becoming so unaffordable that I am considering to remove it as my primary connection as well.

Is any DTH operator offering affordable bundles which include HD channels? Please provide links.