The New DTH Regulations

• Thread starter Thread starter kickass
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 220
  • Views Views 26,769
  • Tags Tags
    trai
TRAI’s new rules for DTH, cable operators: Consumers can choose the 100 channels | Technology News, The Indian Express

In the press statement TRAI has said, “Consumer has complete freedom to choose their desired 100 Standard Definition (SD) channels within the network capacity fee of maximum Rs 130. The desired channels could be in a-la-carte, Free to Air channels, or Pay channels or bouquet of pay channels or any combination thereof. The choice completely rests with the consumers.”

well they do require more spectrum (or whatever wave dth uses) than sd feeds right?

I used to have airtel infinity HD pack for 12 months. I didn't mind paying lumpsum amount of Rs. 5500/- for 360 days, it came out to be Rs. 460 per month but I got all channels SD + HD

Now, I build a plan it had Star and Sony channels (HD) packs and my monthly rental was Rs. 412 for 60 channels. Bullshit. Out of that Rs. 412, Rs 153 is Network Capacity Fee. WTF is even NCF?

The only way this arrangement can be cheaper is if this NCF fee is either reduced or abolished.

I have been actively looking for ways to replace my DTH connection, and that is what I will be doing till 1st Feb.

@Deb_1 Out of 60, 25 are of Doordarshan FTA pack which is mandatory to get. so 35 channels are left. Since most channels are HD so in reality its only 17 channels I have subscribed to.

I need all the sports channels because I follow football so Sony for champions league/La Liga & star for PL. Mom needs her entertainment channels. Adding each HD channel is not ideal because every single one of them costs Rs. 22.40 so you have no choice but to get a pack. Added sony and star packs and my monthly rent reached 400.

Moreover, Its not about how many channels I watch. It's about what I am getting for the amount of money I am paying. I am getting less than before. TRAI somehow has managed to reduce my choices while keeping my bill the same. How this has empowered me exactly?

trai's plan would have worked if they had made it possible for users to subscribe to new channels on demand on a per day basis. basically a pay per view model. right now, if you want to watch sporting event on a specific news channel, you have to get it for a month. and i have no idea how easy/tough it would be to subscribe and unsubscribe on a regular basis.

@Shubham Though you have a point but I don't think your logic will apply to majority of users.

if I only get to watch only star and Sony, why should I pay Rs. 400 per month? I will just get a Hotstar and sony liv subscription which is Rs. 1000 and Rs. 500 per year. I will get the same channels that way + access to other quality content including movies.

This is exactly what I am going to do. I am done with dth.

trai's plan would have worked if they had made it possible for users to subscribe to new channels on demand on a per day basis. basically a pay per view model. right now, if you want to watch sporting event on a specific news channel, you have to get it for a month. and i have no idea how easy/tough it would be to subscribe and unsubscribe on a regular basis.

It appears channels are on per day basis and not per month

Videocon D2h pdf said monthly. I guess that's for bundles.

Last edited: