The New DTH Regulations

Sushubh

Administrator
trai's plan would have worked if they had made it possible for users to subscribe to new channels on demand on a per day basis. basically a pay per view model. right now, if you want to watch sporting event on a specific news channel, you have to get it for a month. and i have no idea how easy/tough it would be to subscribe and unsubscribe on a regular basis.

Shubham

Regulars
@Shubham Though you have a point but I don't think your logic will apply to majority of users.
if I only get to watch only star and sony, why should I pay Rs. 400 per month? I will just get a hotstar and sony liv subscription which is Rs. 1000 and Rs. 500 per year. I will get the same channels that way + access to other quality content including movies.

This is exactly what I am going to do. I am done with dth.

powerwatts

Regular
Regulars
trai's plan would have worked if they had made it possible for users to subscribe to new channels on demand on a per day basis. basically a pay per view model. right now, if you want to watch sporting event on a specific news channel, you have to get it for a month. and i have no idea how easy/tough it would be to subscribe and unsubscribe on a regular basis.
It appears channels are on per day basis and not per month

Sushubh

Administrator
Trai: 100 pay or free TV channels for Rs 153/month | India Business News - Times of India

In a bonanza for TV viewers, whether cable or direct to home (DTH), the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) has issued an order whereby consumers can view 100 pay or free channels by paying just Rs 153.40 per month (including GST). According to a Trai press communique, consumers should choose these 100 channels before January 31 as the new system will start from February 1.
As per Trai, the base pack does not include high definition (HD) channels. However, some media agencies have reported that HD channels can also be chosen and one HD channel will be equivalent to two non-HD channels. Consumers should enquire with their service provider.

Sushubh

Administrator
Source

even trai's language is unclear.

Consumer has complete freedom to choose their desired 100 Standard
Definition (SD) channels within the network capacity fee of maximum
Rs.130 I-. The desired channels could be in A-Ia-carte Free to Air channels
or Pay channels or bouquet of pay channels or any combination thereof. The
choice completely rests with the consumers.
do i need to pay for the ala carte paid channel i pick in this 100 package.