The latest in memoware

netfreak

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Sep 8, 2005
2,147
14
EVERY few years Bill Gates, the chairman of Microsoft, issues a memo signalling an important shift for his company, and hence for the software industry as a whole. In 1995, one of his memos heralded the rise of the internet. In 2002, another memo drew attention to the growing importance of computer security. Now a barrage of memos signals the emergence of a new generation of web-based software, often called “Web 2.0”. As in previous cases, what is new is not the idea itself, but the fact that Microsoft is taking it seriously.

http://www.economist.com/business/displayS...tory_id=5178963
 

max

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 6, 2005
2,766
6
Uh...before Web 2.0 M$ should make their browser more standards compatible...
 

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
419,642
13,069
Gurugram
actually MS supports most of the web 2.0 technologies since the time when firefox did not even exit.
 


max

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 6, 2005
2,766
6
whatever...but they are a long way from being standards compatible!
 

max

Regulars
Regulars
Oct 6, 2005
2,766
6
That can't be a hurdle to be standards compliant.
 


Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
419,642
13,069
Gurugram
the biggest problem with microsoft. they waste time and resources on stuff which are irrelevant to the end user. vista and internet explorer are two prime examples.
 

netfreak

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Sep 8, 2005
2,147
14
Originally posted by Sushubh@Nov 20 2005, 06:44 PM
vista and internet explorer are two prime examples.
[snapback]32742[/snapback]
[/quote]

IE had a big role in making Web affordable. Netscape used to charge for every installation of Browser.

And not all M$ products are waste. M$ Office is still the best office suite.
 

Sushubh

Administrator
Oct 29, 2004
419,642
13,069
Gurugram
many people would disagree. internet explorer being free did not make the web affordable. it became part of the operating system. it was free in version 1, 2, 3. no one used it. people started using it when MS forced it on the users with version 4.MS Office is the best suite. Agreed. but 80% of the users dont use 2% of the features. its worth the price, if you can actually make use of the remaining 98% of the functionalities. you are somewhat contradicting urself, openoffice is free. why are people not using that over ms office? microsoft charges for every installation of ms office!
 

netfreak

Regulars
[OP]
Regulars
Sep 8, 2005
2,147
14
Originally posted by Sushubh@Nov 20 2005, 08:49 PM
You are somewhat contradicting urself, openoffice is free. why are people not using that over ms office? microsoft charges for every installation of ms office!
[snapback]32754[/snapback]
[/quote]
Difference between IE and OpenOffice is, IE 3.0 had all essential features of Netscape. so nothing was lost by using IE.

And with OpenOffice, it does not provide all essential features for corporate users.

Ask any financial analyst or financial controller. MS Excel is THE only application that they can not do their work without.

Ask any Marketing person to evaluate M$ and OO for making presentations, M$ wins straight away.

Ask any PHD student to write his/her thesis with Writer, even mundane things like applying default formats (try generating a default thesis with Office 2003, it makes the task so easy) to nested table of contents are difficult with OO.

If all you want do do is write occasional letters and docs then OO is sufficient (typical home use). But it still lacks features for power users.

And if OO provides features AND templates for power users, then yes M$ office will be in trouble.
 

Similar threads