...the IPv6/Authentication/NAT/Routing discussion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only have some really shoddy images at the moment (GIF... who the hell uses GIF anymore?)

I think I gave the model numbers in the hardware thread, but they are:
I-120W-P (2 port with Wifi)
I-240W-P (4 port with Wifi)
I-120G-P (2 port without Wifi)
I-240G-P (4 port without Wifi)

I think this seems to resemble the device I've been sent an image of:
Basic specs:
GPON I-series ONT, version P, 2 POTS and GigE Ethernet interfaces. Includes ac/dc power cord with European (EU) variant plug.

Oh i forgot to ask, does this device(one with wifi) be a equivalent/have functionalities like a good modern router & what is the cost of this in the open market for comparison (with some other router)...

Oh i forgot to ask, does this device(one with wifi) be a equivalent/have functionalities like a good modern router & what is the cost of this in the open market for comparison (with some other router)...

1. Yes.

2. It's not available on the open market. Unlike DSL and such, PON platforms are somewhat proprietary, and you could not use some other manufacturers equipment to connect to our headend equipment. As for costs between different brands and models, prices vary - a lot - but you get what you pay for.

I think I already updated the FAQs page with the price we would charge for a replacement (outside of any kind of warranty issue, such as intentional user damage).

1. Yes.

2. It's not available on the open market. Unlike DSL and such, PON platforms are somewhat proprietary, and you could not use some other manufacturers equipment to connect to our headend equipment. As for costs between different brands and models, prices vary - a lot - but you get what you pay for.

I think I already updated the FAQs page with the price we would charge for a replacement (outside of any kind of warranty issue, such as intentional user damage).

Gosh u have quoted 5500.......this device costs that much, i doubt whether its routing capabilities/functionalities are better than a 2-2.5k D-Link router.

Why don't u replace this CPE with a CPE which just has a single GE port and then leave it to the customer to get his own router. By that way u can reduce ur costs at least. 5500 amortized over 2-3 years is a good deal of money.

Gosh u have quoted 5500.......this device costs that much, i doubt whether its routing capabilities/functionalities are better than a 2-2.5k D-Link router.

Why don't u replace this CPE with a CPE which just has a single GE port and then leave it to the customer to get his own router. By that way u can reduce ur costs at least. 5500 amortized over 2-3 years is a good deal of money.

It wouldn't make a great deal of difference to have one with less software or with only 1GE port.

In doing our research, there were two ways we could have made it cheaper:
1. Use worse quality devices from a cheaper brand.
2. Use terminating equipment suitable for an entire apartment block (up to 24 users) which converts the signal to VDSL (for which we'd still then need to supply a VDSL modem anyway, which would mean that the cost savings with this option are negligible at best).

The other option was similar to #2 except that it would have been fast-ethernet instead of VDSL, but a bit cheaper. Perhaps for those wanting to save themselves a few rupees could take such a product (it wouldn't be much once electricity and UPSes were taken in to account, and the fact that we'd probably be installing gigabit equipment in most places anyway, so the costs would double up), but I think the performance hit compared to the monthly cost savings would be enough to deter most people from this option, as it would also not scale up to 1+gbit/s without replacing the equipment.

^^^ one thing, i read somewhere(may be in this section) that recently china's telco went in for GPON tender and a sub 100$ price was quoted. I think it includes not only the cpe but the entire back haul as well, so how come just ur CPE cost is above 100$ mark leave alone back end. Is it due to volumes factor in favor of China?

$100 for GPON or EPON

While volume is a factor, it's not the only thing: who do you think won the tender?

Equipment is a fairly minimal factor in the grand scheme of things - $100 is roughly Rs4700, which wouldn't be too far removed from our total equipment cost per subscriber (what's a 30-50% difference?), but we still have the right of way costs and such to worry about. China Telecom probably does not - being China Telecom and all.

As I said in previous posts, equipment varies wildly by vendor, and point #1 in my previous was "1. Use worse quality devices from a cheaper brand." We could have decided to put in equipment that cost us a total of Rs1,000 per subscriber (such solutions do exist), but we chose not to deploy that in favour of quality.

While volume is a factor, it's not the only thing: who do you think won the tender?

Equipment is a fairly minimal factor in the grand scheme of things - $100 is roughly Rs4700, which wouldn't be too far removed from our total equipment cost per subscriber (what's a 30-50% difference?), but we still have the right of way costs and such to worry about. China Telecom probably does not - being China Telecom and all.

As I said in previous posts, equipment varies wildly by vendor, and point #1 in my previous was "1. Use worse quality devices from a cheaper brand." We could have decided to put in equipment that cost us a total of Rs1,000 per subscriber (such solutions do exist), but we chose not to deploy that in favour of quality.

so which is the cheapest CPE available today?

so which is the cheapest CPE available today?

I don't know, but if I had to guess, it would be something from a Chinese brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.