MTNL (General) The fall and fall of MTNL

• Thread starter Thread starter socrates
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 178
  • Views Views 29,555
Surrendered our 50 yr old telephone number 6 months back and never looked back. 0 regrets. MTNL is long dead.

Now I am using Tata Sky FTTH and Jio FTTH both in Dadar.

Hi guys,

I am currently on an MTNL 12 Mbps landline+ADSL broadband combo plan, but am keen on switching to either Airtel or Tata Sky FTTH pretty soon for better speed and quality. However my aged parents only use the landline number for years, and it will be a major hassle to inform each and every one of their many contacts about a new number. Also, I am one of the few lucky people who has never had problems with MTNL's service.

Is there a number portability option for landlines? Or should I then just keep the old MTNL landline number with the cheapest plan and take a separate FTTH connection? Or can you recommend some other option, which will save me some money (since keeping MTNL landline as well as taking new FTTH will be more expensive)?

Thank you.

one guy on the forum claimed that airtel does offer porting of landline but i haven't found anything about it from airtel itself. i checked with airtel for an uncle who is also stuck with a mtnl number paying for it monthly in delhi and was told that it was not possible.

Is there a number portability option for landlines? Or should I then just keep the old MTNL landline number with the cheapest plan and take a separate FTTH connection?
₹230 is the minimum plan. I had the same till now but because you can't port landline nos and increasing expenses, it is pointless in my case to keep it. So will be surrendering next week.

yeah long term solution would be start informing people about the new number who specifically call on that number and do it for 2-3 months.
but yeah, in this case, it would probably not be a good solution as no mobile numbers are involved.
in my case, landlines are only used as backup or by folks who might not have been in touch for a long time so they might not have the mobile number being used by the folks.
people no longer change mobile number as they used to so this is not a problem that affects a lot of people.

google tells me that telecom companies have been asking trai to implement landline portability for a long time. i guess trai is not interested because it would specifically hurt government owned mtnl and bsnl.

For delhi you can convert it prepaid adsl where you have to recharge for data plan and you receive zero bill every month in email. Though only incoming works that too without recharge.

Just as I thought 🙁. It's a shame MTNL is in the state it is in at the moment.

I guess I'll just stick to MTNL's cheapest landline plan for now. They have a Senior citizen plan for around the same price which gives 100 free calls instead of 50, so that's good. Also if I add the tariff for a 100 Mbps plan from either Tata Sky or Airtel, it'll be slightly more expensive overall than my old MTNL 12 Mbps combo plan, which I think is fine given the hassle involved in disconnecting the MTNL landline number.

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.

I changed my office landline plan to 95combo few years ago..... It does not give any free calls but 5GB data.... which is sufficient for browsing and VoWIFI.
Monthly rental is 95+ gst.... + call charges @1Rs.

Any idea where to check lowest plan for mtnl. I was told minimum is 180+got, Mumbai circle

This is the link for the plans.

This is the link to sign in to your account (for changing plan, checking bills, etc.)

My Landline was 60 year or older... my grand parents time.... But since 2 years, I had never hear that landline ring. No one called on landline. Was only used as internet backup on by load balance router.
So disconnected 10 days ago, at MIDC Marol Andheri Mumbai exchange. They were not bothered and in 3 hours phone was disconnected.
They gave 2 workorders. One to disconnect triband and other for landline disconnection.
They took simple letter of disconnection and pan and aadhar copy. Process is very simple to disconnect. Just pay last bill beforehand and visit them and they are so happy to disconnect !

In letter only I mentioned that i am using my own instrument and cpe / modem and Splitter