Internet Explorer Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 620
  • Views Views 134,576
because ie10 on win7 would be a totally different browser. it is only expected to come early next year.

So one of the first things I did after getting Windows 8 (On multiple PCs) was to get the Google Chrome browser and ofcourse make it as the default. But before I did that, I did use the Metro App a bit, it looked "different", but kind of ok. So all of sudden I noticed that the IE icon looked a but different in the tiles as compared to when I installed the OS, and clicking led me to the "desktop" version. So, I felt the App must have got removed from Start. But adding it back was not showing up as an option, so I decided to search online a bit, and this is what I found.

[FIX] Internet Explorer Metro Tile Missing from Windows 8 Start Screen or Metro IE Doesn’t Start - Tweaking with Vishal

Lots of Windows 8 users have complained about a weird problem. Suddenly Internet Explorer metro tile disappears from Windows 8 Start Screen. A few other Windows 8 users have complained that when they try to launch Metro IE by clicking on its tile in Start Screen, it doesn't open, actually nothing happens.

Both of these problems occur when you install another web browser such as Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, etc in Windows 8 and you set the new browser as default or it automatically sets itself as default web browser in Windows 8. As soon as a new browser is set as default, Windows 8 replaces Internet Explorer metro tile with the Desktop version of IE and IE metro tile disappears from Start Screen.

To fix this problem, simply set Internet Explorer as the default web browser using....

I simply do not know how to react. But yes, I did LOL'ed.

I have not been able to access IE in Metro mode since my upgrade. I had to reinstall Chrome to get its Metro mode as well.

Well, did you try the above steps to get IE in Metro mode. And just as you say it, once I made this IE as default, the Chrome Metro App "disappeared" 😕

have no interest. actually it is a headache that clicking a link from a metro app opens it in metro chrome. i had like the option to disable metro chrome completely. :\

Well, even I dont/wont use it. But it kind of interests me to find as to what MS is up to 😉Anyway, tried a couple of things and this worked - Unpin it (the desktop link) from Metro UI. Go to the desktop shortcut, open & make it default browser. Now, go to the All-Aps in Metro UI & then pin again from there.

Ok.. Now this is really funny, playing around a bit shows me that both CANNOT co-exist as a Metro App (Chrome & IE). I wonder if this is all MS's doing (looks like). So you get to play with the Metro version only with the default browser. Now thats weird.

Well Well

What can (and can't) Metro browsers do in Windows 8?

You can only use one Metro-enabled browser at once; whichever one you set as the default browser. The Microsoft documentation talks about "preserving the Metro style user experience" which we interpret as keeping things simple and not confusing users by throwing up a 'which browser do you want' dialog when you open Web pages or giving you multiple browser icons to tap in Search.

Clicking the Start screen tile for a Metro-enabled browser that's not the default will open the desktop version of the browser.
You can't set which Metro browser a specific site will open in when you click a link. But at least on x86 PCs you can always choose to go to the desktop and open multiple browsers in the usual way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD9FAOPBiDkProbably the best that I have seen from them. No bullshit. I am surprised. Really.