The All New WinAmp

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 56
  • Views Views 8,147
Winamp Shutting down on December 20, 2013.
Winamp.com and associated web services will no longer be available past December 20, 2013. Additionally, Winamp Media players will no longer be available for download. Please download the latest version before that date. See release notes for latest improvements to this last release.
Thanks for supporting the Winamp community for over 15 years[color=rgb(113,99,103);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(255,196,196);].[/color]
Source
More on the story
“There's no reason that Winamp couldn’t be in the position that iTunes is in today if not for a few layers of mismanagement by AOL that started immediately upon acquisition,” Rob Lord, the first hire and first general manager of Winamp, told Ars in 2012. Justin Frankel, Winamp's primary developer, seemed to concur in an interview he gave to BetaNews. (He declined to be interviewed by Ars in 2012.) “I'm always hoping that they will come around and realize that they're killing [Winamp] and find a better way, but AOL always seems too bogged down with all of their internal politics to get anything done.”
Its sad to see it going down. It had been a rock solid player for past 15 years. I just hope it gets revived in some way.

Yeah i just saw this. What do we do now? This is so sad. They were developing the new cloud features until last month this is so sudden....

I tried a lot of audio players, but always come back to Winamp. It's really sad. The next best alternative is MediaMonkey I suppose.

Yeah me too. Right now i have musicbee and clementine installed, but winamp is still the best for actually playing music..

Aww, that's sad. But the latest version will be available for download for ever from other sites.

A lot of WinAmp fans probably does not even use the recent versions. They stick with the 2.x builds.

Right. last year version upgrade came after full 1 year.
So it's almost fully matured to the point that if no further updates come, it will work flawlessly upto the current latest win os versions atleast

Problem is the paid versions on both desktop and mobiles. They are basically telling the paying subscribers LOL FOOLED YA.

^^^ Same here. It is one of first software (when Apps word was not common) I installed whenever I formatted my PC. Still have it in my Win 8.1 Laptop, and Winamp is always my default software for playing Audio/MP3 files.
If its closing down, but still if we have installer then I don't think it will be missed. I never used any online service from them.

I actually liked another player back in the late 90s and early 2000s. Largely because the audio quality was infinitely better and the app has some cool features too.Now I cannot even remember the name. Something like QTPlayer something. Quintessential PlayerThis was it I think!