• Thread starter Thread starter baudhayan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 38,160

baudhayan

Regulars
ISP
Hathway 50 Mbps+ Vodafone 3G
It's almost a week since I got the fastest Broadband I have ever used in India. I am talking about the recently launched Hathway's DOCSIS 3.0 Network. Infact it is faster than what I used in UK - 20 Mbps from Virgin on Fibre. Time to write a review while comparing it with my previous experience with MTNL. The last plan which I used was MTNL 8 Mbps connection paying INR 1050 (excluding tax) with a download limit of 28 GB.
Pros -
1. Lightning fast speed which is comparable to many other developed countries. Also this comes at very affortable rates. For pre-paid subscribers you pay INR 3370 including taxes but excluding Installation charges for quaterly subscription. This is for HD3 Plan with 25 GB download limit per month and 1 MPBS post 25 GB limit. The upload speed is also excellent - at 10 Mbps speed it is just what I wanted to uplod my HD videos on youtube.
2. You can watch all favourite recorded International TV soaps on youtube and other site owing to the excellent speed.
3. You can play online games without any lags.
4. Free Public Static IP. You will not get this free of cost with many other Broadband service providers.
5. No manual login/PPPoE login required, the Internet is always on.
6. Didn't find any Port Blockings as my IP Phone continues to work.
7. Easy Network configuration for a layman.
8. 24/7 Helpdesk.
Cons -
1. Sales team not trained enough to answer any technical question. They don't know the difference between Private IP and Public IP. They are unable to say on which Interface the IP will get assigned. I had to wait for the Modem to arrive and connect it to my Router to understand that the IP gets assigned on the LAN Interface of the Modem which connects to your PC or Router.
2. The Bandwidth usage on their website is not password protected and you can check some one else's usage if you know their user name.
3. The Bandwidth usage doesn't give hourly usage details. The MTNL website is much better which provides hourly session based usage details.
4. Though it is a 24/7 Helpdesk, the executives only answer standard set of questions and are not sufficiently trained on technical front.
Other Technical details -
1. The Internet is offered through traditional TV cables, but end user receives it on Ethernet.
2. I have been provided with a Skyworth CM4100 modem. I was not provided with any manual and was a bit sceptical since not much documentation is yet available on the Net. Till the point of time your Modem is activated on the Network you can connect your PC to it's Ethernet (LAN) port and through DHCP auto-config you will be assigned an IP 192.168.100.2 . You can thus connet to the Modem's web interface by keying in http://192.168.100.1 on your web browser. But please note that this is a read-only interface, doesn't require any login. You cannot configure anything here since all Provisioning will be done remotely by Hathway. The funny thing is that once your Modem is activated by Hathway remotely and you are live on the Network, you will get assigned a Static Public IP through DHCP when you connect your PC. I have used a D-Link DSL-2750U ADSL Router with Russian firmware (learnt the same from India Broadband Forum) and now LAN Port 1 is an Ethernet WAN Port which is assigned the Static IP.
3. Once your Modem is registered on the Network and you can access Internet, you can still access the Modem's Web Interface by keying in the HFC IP Address (on the Web Browser) which you can find out when you connect the Modem's LAN Interface with the Laptop directly.
4. You can register on a website like dyndns.com or noip.com and register a DNS name for your IP and may be host some Web Servers on the Net.
5. You can introduce Cloud based Content Filtering at Home by using OpenDNS.com DNS Servers - 208.67.222.222 , 208.67.220.220 , register yourself on the site and block websites based on categories. OpenDNS.com also provides you a Dashboard which provides excellent report about the websites being used on your Home Network.
6. Do remember that since this is a very high speed Net connection and you need to decide very quickly on any video streaming site whether you want to watch the Video, because as soon as you click almost the entire video gets cache/downloaded within seconds and that gets counted against your monthly Bandwidth limit.
7. I did not find that there was any locking of Internet associated with the MAC ID of the Router and Internet can be accessed from any device.
Will keep updating this article as and when things strike me. Do get back to me if you have any questions. Drop me your email address and I will respond back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good review, i agree with most of the stuff you have said i am also using the same from last one month and very happy with the service and speeds. I tried opening the modem link page but it is not opening for me on 192.168.100.1,i am sure there would be some way to access the modem page and details. Also last week hatchway did some upgrade on their network and the modem.

A few suggestions.
Please
1. Add a speedtest & a ping test. Everyone loves those!
2. Mention if they cache torrents
3. Talk about the uptime/reliability.
Thanks for the review.

Thanks all for the feedback and that you liked my review!
@uberjon -

Cache Torrents - I have downloaded stuff from Torrents. 700 MB file downloads in flat 5 mins...wooow!!
Uptime and Reliability has been just awesome at least for me - The connection went down only a couple of times and by the time I had booked the complaint, it was up again. Though the downtime was roughly 10 - 15 mins in both instances, it was mostly becoz the amplifier is located in a different Building and not mine and they had a Power failure.
@Dushie -
To open the 192.168.100.1 page you need to first set your Laptop's IP to 192.168.100.2 and then connect your Modem to the Laptop through LAN Cable. Now if your connection is live and all lights on the Modem are green, you can visit 192.168.100.1 and then check all tabs to find out the HFC IP Address. You can now set your Laptop to DHCP, connect your Modem to Router and access the Modem directly through the HFC IP Address rather than 192.168.100.1 . If this hasn't worked, it mostly means that your Modem is configured with a different subnet. It is difficult for me to explain all possible methods to find out that, but if you PM me and drop me your number, I will try to help you out.
@Mehul Mishra -
I rcvd an email notification about the bad experience you had with Hathway, not sure why it is not appearing on this thread. Can you please re-post your experience? I will provide more clarification.

Can you add those things to the original post, so that it's all in one location? I'm am assuming that Hathway does not cache torrents. With a fast line, torrents can load up very quickly indeed. Where does Speedtest think you're located?

@Gadget Guru, I had done a (non-techie) review after a month of Docsis 3.0 use. It can be accessed here. You may want to link that here.

FUP,Doesn't make a difference any more as i anyways wanted one more connection to have redundancy and backup during downtime of primary connection.So have taken a 2 Mbps Unlimited plan as back up and using both together now and doing load balancing. So no worries for downtime and downloads anymore.

Hey @Dushie,
Can you tell us a bit more about your load balancing set up? How are you doing that with 2 internet connections? I searched a lot on how to do it, but could not find any solution.
Thanks,
StillWaters

Hello,
Please could you give a little detail on how to configure wireless access on a D-Link DSL 2750U router if using Hathway 50MPBS connection. I saw in your review that you use the same router. I connected ethernet cable to one of lan ports and then opened the DLink admin page but wasn't able to configure WIFI.
Thanks

Vineet Singh_22270 said:
Hello,
Please could you give a little detail on how to configure wireless access on a D-Link DSL 2750U router if using Hathway 50MPBS connection. I saw in your review that you use the same router. I connected ethernet cable to one of lan ports and then opened the DLink admin page but wasn't able to configure WIFI.
Thanks

I have used the Russian firmware where LAN Port 1 becomes the WAN Port. Please read that post in detail and dont ask questions on this thread about the same thing. Once your Port 1 is WAN Port, use the Connection wizard on the Router web admin page to set it up in DHCP. I guess I have provided all details in my review including the link about how to setup D-Link 2750U for WAN routing.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
StillWaters said:
Hey @Dushie,
Can you tell us a bit more about your load balancing set up? How are you doing that with 2 internet connections? I searched a lot on how to do it, but could not find any solution.
Thanks,
StillWaters
It's simple, i am using a TP-Link 470T+ load balancing, dual wan router. It combines 2 internet connections into one pipe and works well. You can do load balancing, fail over, plus lots of other stuff. As of now i have just joined the 2 connections one is a hathway cable modem that has a static ip and is always on. Other is also a cable connection but has PPOE authentication with a username and password together and both are working fine. No issues faced till now, i am myself trying to learn more about networking stuff, to do more settings on the router.

I am getting the login page! The person who set up the modem never told me anything about no need to login or free static ip?
What do i do?