TataSky 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus, how to get

• Thread starter Thread starter vikramasia
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 29
  • Views Views 38,271

vikramasia

ISP
BSNL
For those who want to enjoy 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby Digital 5.1 sound with Tata Sky +hd, plz do the followingBuy an AVR/DAC with Dolby Digital + decoder and a set of 7.1 speakers connect them to Tatasky +hd Box with HDMI cable only (use Coaxial and optical for upto 5.1ch) go to organizer-> User Settings->audio settings set Hdmi to Dolby Digital(if Avr is connected through HDMI) or Spdif to Dolby Digital(If AVR is connected with coaxial or optical). by this your 7.1 system(HDMI connection) has been setup but u will still get 5.1 sound because, not all contents are in 7.1 sound, so choose a movie which as per internet information says that has DD+ 7.1 sound like RAOne. 2nd and most imp thing the box supports 7.1 but the firmware in +hd box is still old and supports only Dolby Digital. to get Dolby Digital plus(7.1) the STB firmware has to be upgraded. I have already mailed tata to do that and I request all of u to plz ask tata sky to upgrade the firmware of STB to support Dolby Digital Plus along with Dolby Digital. Once they upgrade it, you will see the option of DD+ in Audio Settings along with DD and PCM. set it to DD+ to get 7.1 sound when a 7.1 content is shown. Click Here to understand better and ask questions about DTH and Home Theater installation..

Last edited:
oh thnx for the informations, i hv hd not hd+............

dear beekeys, I will explain each step to u in details, I was having same situation like u some weeks ago. For a 2.1 ch Setup The steps are simple, Connect the Red and White RCA plugs to rear of STB and connect the other end directly to your multimedia speakers or home theater. if the speakers or home theater have a 3.5mm jack input, then buy a converter from local market (No import). Simply ask RCA males(Red White) at one end of cable and a single 3.5mm jack at other end. Remember one 3.5mm jack = 2RCA(red+white for left and right channel). If any other converter like(3.5mm male to female or RCA male to female or vice versa is required they r easily available in local market) check ur system to find out what input they accept. Tata STB will accept only RCA male. For 5.1/7.1 Ch u not only need 5.1/7.1 speakers but a decoder of dolby digital and dolby digital plus. The 5.1 output of Tata Sky is encoded and cant be directly understood by TV/Multimedia speakers etc. The Decoders comes in the form of AV Receivers which have input for coaxial, optical and HDMI, Connect Tatasky stb to AVR using any one of the three options, AVR will have a HDMI out, connect this out to TV. AVR will also have jacks to connect to 5 speakers and a subwoofer. Connect them. Now what happens is that: Tata head office sends Video encoded in mepg4 and audio encoded in Dolby Digital, STB will decode mpeg4 video but will do nothing with audio. The decoded video along with dolby encoded audio will go to AVR, AVR will send decoded video as it is to TV and will decode the audio. The decoded audio will be forwarded to individual speakers to give u 5.1 effect. YOU CAN NOT GET A 5.1/7.1 OUTPUT WITHOUT A DOLBY DECODER OR BY USING COMPUTER SPEAKERS OR SIMPLE CONVERTERS ETC. If u still have not understood any part of this paragraph then reply clearly and in detail abt ur prb, the devices u have etc. I will tell u the solution.

@Vikram - OMG, u explained very nicely and today only got satisfied, 90% doubts are cleared. I should first understand my speakers are PC speakers those works with the help of pc sound card (sorry I m not tech). The specification of the system is here - Altec Lansing 251 5.1 Surround Sound PC Speaker System | TWEAKNEWS Please have a look, I think i need AV Receivers to work my system on Tata Sky HD stb. Waiting for your valuable instructions, if you feel my solution is only AV Receivers, please suggest me and where should I buy coz I am also from MOHALI phase-7, but keep in mind these speakers three male 3.5mm jacks to be connected in AV Receivers. Thanks in advance.

Following are the things to keep in mind: Not only AV Receivers but u can get some Home Theater(DVD) system which can give u 5.1 sound. Best option available is Av Receivers. What ever u choose to buy(DVD or AVR) should have following features ( HDMI in and HDMI out, Optical in, Optical out) all AVRs have these. The Device should also have the following Decoder DD, DD+. To enjoy ur DVDs and blurays in surround sound it should also have DTS Decoders like DTS HD MA. Consult the manual of product before buying to check decoders available in the device. Most Imp: YOU NEED NEW SPEAKERS, UR EXISTING SPEAKERS WILL NOT WORK, Some days back even I was thinking to utilize my Multimedia 5.1 Beetel Blast 5850 PC speakers to use with Tata Sky, but that's not possible, reasons are, PC Speakers don't have Dolby decoders in them and second AVRs are very powerful as compared to Pc Speakers as a result if u try to attach them to AVR, First your speakers will burn and second ur AVR. Each AVR provides the configuration of speakers that can attach to it. You have to buy speakers compatible with your AVR. You need a high budget to buy this system, In Chandigarh a 7.1 AVR starts from Rs50000 approx Each individual speakers cost approx Rs11000 making a total of 11000x7=77000 for speakers+15000(subwoofer). Total Cost near abt 1lakh to 1.5 lakh for 7.1 system. I was not having that much budget, I am a Final year student of MCA at PU. so I imported all the devices from USA. If u wish to come and see the system, then u r most welcome after prior appointment to my home at Sector 33 Chd. I would also like to know what do u do, R U in job/Business/Student?

I very very much impressed how u explained whole the system, this can only be if you are tech like MCA. Many thnx, I now don't hv any doubt left to be cleared, so right choice to buy a good AVR with good speakers. I will keep these speakers for my pc, as I am a music lover. I am working as a Logistic and QC Manager with a French compy in Paris since 18 yrs. Any help u needed this side plz don't hasitate, I hv a big respect people like u. Good day and wish u very best.

i can understand that you guys have 7.1 system at your home........so can you plz tell me whether espn hd and star cricket hd support dolby digital or dolby digital plus???????

Dear Anil, As per a recent msg received from Star network Asli HD to me, All Asli HD Channels of Star group including Cricket and ESPN are on Dolby Digital(5.1). Secondly Sports channel have no such sound effect that u can enjoy in 5.1 or 7.1 as they have mainly sounds of expert comments only, which can be heard in 2ch system in the same way as in 5.1 or 7.1. If u want to enjoy 5.1 sound then go for Movies on Star Gold and Star Movies ( Star Plus and World not recommended) as films have special sound effects recorded in studio which can give u the real feel of surround sound, for 7.1 Sound go to Blu Ray or DVD Movies.

----------

Dear Beekeys, I want to know what have u decided abt your home theater, are you going to buy it or making budget to buy it, or have dropped the idea to buy it?

the reason i asked you this question was because if u take a look at some of fox sports hd videos in australia and sky sports hd in england .....i mean the sound those videos give is absolutely smashing and we dont get that same kind of sound in star cricket or espn hd..............atleast espnstar could give us stereo surround sound.......

Dear Anil, I have never visited outside India so can't comment on Channels of England and Australia. But What I can say is that, These are the countries which give birth to technologies and these technologies come to India after 5-10years (Example 3G phone). So You will have to wait 5-10Years from the time u have felt smashing sound in England and Australia, to feel it in India. Here its tough to get 7.1 sound for movie channel, Sports will be secondary point of up gradation. What can be done is that Record a Live Sport, then in a sound studio insert the 5.1 Sound created separately Ex for a 6 by Sachin, A Zoooo sound should come 1 by one from all speakers giving the feel that the ball is going far and far. But that will be artificial and funny of-course.

----------

R u planning to buy AVR?????

hi i am using TSHD+ from past 15 days i am not able to get DD+ as i have firmware 1.07 firmware and AV Receiver denon AVR 1312 i have tired all the ways from HDMI coxial OPTICAL all of them ,but only can get dolby digital please help me what to do..... thank you

hi i am using TSHD+ from past 15 days i am not able to get DD+ as i have firmware 1.07 firmware and AV Receiver denon AVR 1312 i have tired all the ways from HDMI coxial OPTICAL all of them ,but only can get dolby digital please help me what to do..... thank you

As of now u can only enjoy DD i.e 5.1 sound,TSHD+ STB supports DD+, but there are many other things that are needed for 7.1 sound EX, The Sound recorded in the actual program, Sound supported by broadcaster like STAR HD channels, Sound Supported by Tata Sky control center, Finally Sound Supported by STB and Firmware of STB. Only 1 support is available now ie of STB and hence u cant enjoy 7.1 sound.