TataPlay Fiber Bridge Mode IPv6

ISP
TataPlay
Got TataPlay Fiber.

After the connection was setup I was able to login via admin to the Nokia G2425 and realised few things.

internet vlan is 4051 and pppoe is used.

Since the router is horrible and gives me security nightmares I set the router ports in bridge mode but nothing happened. The ports simply had no link.

so I called up the guy who installed it and they said they will set it to bridge mode from backend. They did that.

now the weird thing is I can no longer login to the Nokia ont. I want to know the config they have in the ont.

the reason I want to know is because :

I don’t need a vlan for pppoe. I am assuming the port 1 was tagged with vlan4051. Cause only port 1 and port 3 are working. I’m guessing the other one is for a second connection or something.

however my biggest problem right now is IPv6. I have a Deco x20 and it seems to drop Wi-Fi constantly when I enable ipv6 (pppoe sync with ipv4). It has few options I tried all of them.

DHCPv6 - will give you one ipv6 address per device.

SLAAC+ stateless dhcp or SLAAC + RDNSS will give your devices 2 IPv6 addresses.

prefix delegation is left on or off.

does anyone have any idea how to configure ipv6 correctly for tataplay in bridge mode? My guess is that the ONT is somehow doing something here why my deco is having IPv6 issues.

The constant Wi-Fi disconnect is driving me crazy. Could be a bug in the Deco but I’m thinking it’s more to do with incorrect ipv6 config. Any help is appreciated.

Try the last 8 characters of the mac address printed on the back label as login password?

I used ipv6 but for a short time, maybe less than an hour and I have all TP-Link er605 router, sg108 switch , xe75 mesh and x60 unit and didn't see any disconnects.

I had disabled the wifi radios on my Nokia g2425.

I was able to login at 192.168.1.254 with the last 8 characters of the mac before it was in bridge mode. After bridge mode the router IP may have changed I am guessing.

I have an openwrt VM with 2 physical NICs and can put x20 in AP mode and then it actually doesn’t disconnect but the default openwrt ipv6 config will also give out additional ipv6 (link local?) because of which I think it doesn’t disconnect compared to when I only have x20 in router mode but no link local.

After changing to bridge mode are you able to get the Nokia login webpage at any of the usual ip address like 192.168.1.1 etc?

In my case I needed to login to the nokia and set one of the lan ports to bridge mode so I need to hook the ethernet cable to a different non bridge lan port to be able to login.

Okay I was just able to login. Must have been something else why I wasn't able to. Seems the default config is DHCPv6 without Prefix Delegation that they configure for Internet on the Nokia router itself.

The ipv6 config for tataplay is without prefix delegation? This is a bit weird because it means each device only receives one ipv6 and all the benefits of IPv6 are gone basically ? Weird.

No I used PD /64 with slaac IIRC when I tried it.

PD with SLAAC worked for me for some time. In the first hour after setting up I didn't have any issues. After some time these issues are popping up. Could be buggy firmware on Deco (Decos have given me a lot of headache recently). I will likely setup for my friends and family as this ISP is now present everywhere around me so I was looking for the correct way to setup since I have zero interest in consumer routers for my personal use. I will try some other consumer router to see if this issue is Deco specific. IIRC the correct way of implementing IPv6 (or at least the consumer friendly way) is to give each customer a /64 prefix with PD so that the firewall can do all the rest. If this is not how it's implemented then it sucks cause I also don't want to pay for a static IPv6 since they told me I have to pay for it now which was free a year or two ago.

I think ISPs in India have made it a point to make customers lives difficult. At this point they should just give an SFP ONU tbh as it's a joke to have gigabit speeds and give customers routers that can barely do 100-200mbps on wifi. They don't even have a media bridge.

One other thing I noticed is that this Nokia ONU is not 'true' bridge mode. Internet is on VLAN 4051 but on port 1 I don't need to setup VLAN for PPPoE. This means there is some VLAN tagging going on inside the ONU.