• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 4,333
Status
Not open for further replies.

deren

ISP
TATA BROADBAND
In hyderabad, Tata has first changed (forcibly) wireline adsl connection with static IP to wimax with dynamic IP with a mandatory Web Dialer Appilcation to connect to internet.

The reason stated for the web dialer is security.

Now if I want get rid of this login everytime I try to connect to internet then I must have the static IP.

So if I want I static IP back (befor changing to wimax I had the static IP) then I have to go for 384 "Plus" Plan and pay 200 Rs + taxes extra.
What a cheating by TATA?

I just want to know the opinion of all you guys,

is it truly a "broad band" connection or a new type of "Dial-up"

Just for reference:qutoes from -
CERIAS - Broadband vs. Dialup Internet Connection

The fundamental difference between dialup and broadband Internet connections is the manner in which the connection is made from your PC to the Internet. A dialup service connects to the Internet through your phone line. The modem in your PC "calls" an Internet Service Provider (ISP) and connects with a maximum speed of 56,000 bytes per second, better known as a 56K speed connection. Each time your PC dials into the ISP, it is assigned an Internet Protocol (IP) address, which you can think of as an "Internet address." A different, unique IP address is assigned at the beginning of each visit so that the ISP can recognize your PC and make sure you can send and receive email, surf the Internet, and so on; basically, this address lets your ISP know where to send the information you are requesting through your modem. In terms of hackers, in order for someone to gain access to your computer, it would be necessary for them to know your IP to successfully do so. The fact that your IP address constantly changes essentially makes your Internet connection more secure.

In contrast, when you connect to the Internet via a broadband Internet connection, the process is slightly different. Once your PC is connected to the ISP through a cable or DSL connection, it remains connected until the cable box or DSL line is disconnected or physically unplugged....

....Broadband services are often referred to as "always on" services because it is not necessary to make a setup call to your ISP each time you wish to access the Internet; this means that once you are assigned an IP address, you keep it until you request it to be changed.

Isn't it Tata Wimax has following Feature matching with a dial-up kind connection (forget the max speed limit of 56kbps in dial-up and phone line now replaced by wireless):

A dialer type connection that "expires" due to "inactive session". then how is this always on? So we have to connect again and again. (or some other service?)

But this logout and re-login does not change the dynamic IP. That changes only when we restart the pc.

(any other option to change Dynamic IP in Tata Wimax connection without restarting the pc?)

Deren

I had till last week Tata Indicom Wireline Broadband Connection (ADSL) with 2 Mbps connection but those buggers are forcefully converting all such connections into Wi-Max and i had to switch since they have put my local server out of service over a week and are saying that its not feasible in my area. Strange considering i had this wired connection from tata / VSNL since 2005 and i am in Delhi :madness:The speed sucks , dynamic IP with mandatory web login. Ports blocked getting 30~40 kBps now :wall:

it's Dialup ......u have to go the login page and from there u can access the internet.........

Anybody have idea how to setup Tata wimax in Ubuntu 9.4? I am stuck with this topic. Actually Ubuntu is trying to connect but after some time its says offline. Seems network card is installed properly. With windows installation also there was a problem first. The person who came to install the device changed the network card setting "Speed/Duplex settings" to "Autonegotiate for 10HD". Then only the connection started to work in Windows. Mine is NVIDIA nForce network controller.I think the same setting need to be applied in Linux (Ubuntu 9.4). But I dont know how to do that.. Anybody for help?Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.