Tata Wi-Max using Linksys RV042 router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandipan_net

ISP
Tata Wi-Max
Dear Members, I have recently subscribed to Tata Communication's Wi-Max broadband connectivity in Gaziabad. I have 256Kbps unlimited with one Static IP. It requires me to configure my PC's ethernet port with the static IP/mask/gateway/DNS and then when i launch my browser it asks me for my user/pass login before continuing to browse internet. This set up works fine.The problem is i want to connect a router to this setup. My Linksys rv042 router has been configured with required the above static IP (121.x.x.x) on WAN interface and DHCP (192.168.32.x/24) enabled for LAN ports. I connect my PC to the LAN port and it picks up DHCP from router. However, i cant get to see internet login page on PC i.e. can not browse internet. When i do a trace to any intouter any internet host from my PC, it goes up to router and then drops. Pls help.

theres a good chance your dns queries arent going through fine. did you try putting the dns servers in your router. Also, try putting the dns servers statically while the ip is obtained dynamically.

As i mentioned whn i a do a trace to any external IP the traffic doesn not go beyond router. DNS shd not be a problem... router has DNS entries in it. I also tried by putting manual DNS entry in the PC/laptop.

Oh my bad, didnt read that part

Ok, there are 2 things that can happen. Either its bound by mac address, to confirm this try another laptop or something direct connection. if it works then its not bound.

The alternative, router isnt in gateway mode. Some routers (very very few) dont NAT the internet connection.

Try doing a ping from the router to make sure that the router is able to connect to the internet. if that works, its the natting/gateway/router mode of the router. So try another router, just to confirm.

As i mentioned whn i a do a trace to any external IP the traffic doesn not go beyond router. DNS shd not be a problem... router has DNS entries in it. I also tried by putting manual DNS entry in the PC/laptop.

Interestingly i also initially thought in these lines but nothing worked. In fact, there's no MAC binding else i wud have done some MAC cloning. You plug in any PC and it works. I dnt think any ISP is doing mac binding in india yet....doubt they know it at all. :rofl:The router is in the gateway mode. In fact the router itself can not ping the public gateway IP whn i check the diagnostics. Somehow, the router is not ablle to go beyond it's LAN interface to TATA's first public hop. Default routes are all fine " allow all traffic from LAN interface to WAN" for any ->any. 🙁

Well, i dnt have another. B4 that i want to update you that. I logged a call with tata helpdesk and got a call just about 1/2 hr back from one of the techie. He tells me that this setup won't work. On asking why...he has no answer as he is not clear what he is saying. Anyway, he instead gave me a 192.168.1.x/24 IP to be set on teh WAN port of the router. He actually did a NAT from this IP range to the static public IP which was assinged to me. The NAT is done at their end. Rest of the setup remains the same on th router including DHCP. Now all LAN pc can browse internet. This is surprising. Just by changing from static public IP to a Nated IP on the same WAN port made things work. Though i wud still want my first setup. That way i can host my own internet server at anytime. Still confused why wud the first setup not work. 🙁

personally speaking i prefer a static ip to a NAT'd connection. I always access my machine from outside. If your happy with it then stick with it.. ELSEtry and undo the nat i guess. then try and change the subnet range of your lan's dhcp network to 192.168.1.x.But make sure the static ip method still works on the individual machine. There could be a possibility that the 192.168.0.x range is used within their networks and thereby causing you issues.

personally speaking i prefer a static ip to a NAT'd connection. I always access my machine from outside. If your happy with it then stick with it.. ELSE

try and undo the nat i guess. then try and change the subnet range of your lan's dhcp network to 192.168.1.x.

But make sure the static ip method still works on the individual machine. There could be a possibility that the 192.168.0.x range is used within their networks and thereby causing you issues.

I definitely wud prefer static ip rather than NATed. This was one key reason why i picked TATA. Undoing the NAT wud require me to call them again though. Tell me something why wud my 192.168.32.x/24 DHCP lan create problem with their 192.168.1.x/24. Isn't my LAN behind my router's WAN static IP...it shd no way reveal any of my lan segment.

Ok I have solution for u. I under that u have tataindicom wimax connection and you want to connect your wifi router with the connection.You may have three types of connection configs:1. Static i.p on your broadband ( postpaid connection).2. DHCP i.p from tata ( prepaid).3. Prepaid connection with statio i.p option.steps to configure would be same for 1,2 and 3 above.Steps-------------------1. Configure your wifi router to have i.p 192.168.1.2 /255.255.255.0 and blank router and dns address and disable dhcp server on wifi AP/router.2. Connect this router to your lan output of wimax connection and all done. just connect your PC to this wifi SSId to use it.Note 1 : You would need to provide 192.168.1.2 to your wifi router as 192.168.1.1 is in use by your wimax base station.Note: If you want to use a different i.p addressing than 192.168.1.x than you would need to configure the same on your wifi router as well as your wimax base station. It's better to use 192.168.1.x if you do not have any specific reason to use something else.Let me know if this worked for u or drop a comment. I have written this after checking this on my tataindicomwimax broadband with adn without static i.p.Have fun.sanjeevOne more think. If you have a static i.p from tata and you get 192.168.1.x on your P.C as dhcp address. This means that TATA has configured NAT on your wimax terminal ( the one on your roof).

Status
Not open for further replies.