Tata Sky Upgraded From MP2 to MP4 Broadcast?

mikesingh

My TS HD STB suddenly switched to SD from HD. I clicked on the User Settings and noted that the 'TV Type' button had changed itself to 'SD' from 'HD'. I tried to change it back to 'HD' but it refused to budge. The HD channels though available on the HD STB, were all in SD! I've been watching Tata Sky HD on my 42in Panasonic HDTV since the last one year though I had been using TS SD before that since the last many years.

I contacted the service center, Chennai for this problem and I came to know that Tata Sky have changed from MPEG2 to the MPEG4 format. I don't know whether this was the reason for my problem. The engineer said he would be sending a mechanic to check it out - probably some adjustments required in the HD STB. (I tried everything but nothing seemed to work!)

But where reception is concerned, I don't find any difference in this changeover to the MP4 format. Do any of you guys notice any improvement?

Now I have to wait for a couple of days for a mechanic to come and sort out my HD problem. I wonder if this was due to the changeover? Anyone having the same problem?

Cheers!
Mike.

IndianMascot

Addicts
Let me clarify you buddy. Compression technologies are MPEG2 and MPEG4 . MPEG-2 digital compression technology, transmitting using INSAT 4A at 83.0°E.Until Satellite is changed, Compression Technology remains the same. Either Call Centre guy have misguided you or you would have misunderstood him. Regarding the error of your STB, it may be some technical fault or software up gradation would have happened. So, let engineer visit and rectify the error.

Jignesh

Regulars
@ TopicTata Sky uses MPEG-4 DVBS2 for HD channels and MPEG-2 Compression for SD channels.

devx101

Senior
Until Satellite is changed, Compression Technology remains the same. Either Call Centre guy have misguided you or you would have misunderstood him. Regarding the error of your STB, it may be some technical fault or software up gradation would have happened.

So, let engineer visit and rectify the error.

satellite has nothing to do with compression, it just uplinks and then downlinks whatever bits its owner sends. It is up to the decoder present in ur STB to understand whether the incoming stream is a mpeg 2 or mpeg 4 or even a mp3 stream.
TS broadcasts HD channels on Mpeg 4-AVC codec hence HD STBs know how to decode both mpeg4 HD as well as mpeg 2 SD channels. But older SD STBs only have mpeg2 decs hence the problem.

venuvedam

But where reception is concerned, I don't find any difference in this changeover to the MP4 format. Do any of you guys notice any improvement?

MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 are simply compression formats. There is no difference in the quality of the picture or the sound. It is just that MPEG-4 compresses more than MPEG-2. So assuming the transponder capacity is fixed, moving from MPEG-2 to MPEG-4 frees up some space - which you can use to add more channels. But the quality of the transmission remains just about the same.

mikesingh

Thanks guys! I guess I'll have to wait for the TS engineer to sort out my STB problem. I hope I don't have to wait till the darn cows come home!!Cheers! Mike

IndianMascot

Addicts
Just came to know that TS had done Software Update Yesterday. So all that things happening may be bcoz of it. Why don't you try to reset your STB. May be that cud sort out the Issue.

mikesingh

Just came to know that TS had done Software Update Yesterday. So all that things happening may be bcoz of it. Why don't you try to reset your STB. May be that cud sort out the Issue.
Thanks IM, but that's made no difference! In 'System Settings' > 'CA Module', it shows 'CAM' as disabled. What's the status on your HD STB? :001_rolleyes:

Thanks!
Cheers!
Mike.

devx101

Senior
Thanks IM, but that's made no difference! In 'System Settings' > 'CA Module', it shows 'CAM' as disabled. What's the status on your HD STB? :001_rolleyes:

what is the link with CAM?